1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension Problem, with slope and 2 masses

1. Oct 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/...S Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_w10_qp_43.pdf number 3

2. Relevant equations
    T=mg (no acceleration as equilibirum)
    sin rule?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Not sure where to start..the marking scheme shows that sin/cos rules are used but I dont understand why they are used.
    At first i wrote that m1g=T, and m2gsin30=T. Therefore, resultant force on pulley is mqg+mwgsin30, but, this is a dead end

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Set up an equation for the net force that the strings exert on the pulley. You'll need to add vectors, so that's where those rules would apply.

4. Oct 12, 2012 #3
    ok, so the resultant force is 2Tcos30 along AQ and AP? how can we say for sure the two angles are the same?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  5. Oct 12, 2012 #4

Doc Al

How did you get that?
    What two angles?

6. Oct 12, 2012 #5
    i assumed AP and AQ are hypotenuses to the line of direction of 3sqrt3. So, Tcos30 +Tcos30=3sqrt3?

Since the angle is 30 degrees, the other angle on top is 60 degrees. I assumed that the angle is divided equally into 2?

7. Oct 12, 2012 #6

Doc Al

Ah, I see what you're doing. Yes, that's a fine way to add them up. You took advantage of symmetry, taking their components along the bisector of the 60° angle. Good!

I think you meant: Tcos30 + Tcos30 = T√3

(You can also use the law of cosines to add them up. Same answer, of course.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook