Tension Problem, with slope and 2 masses

In summary: Ah, I see what you're doing. Yes, that's a fine way to add them up. You took advantage of symmetry, taking their components along the bisector of the 60° angle. Good!
thoradicus

Homework Statement

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge%20International%20A%20and%20AS%20Level/Mathematics%20%289709%29/9709_w10_qp_43.pdf number 3

Homework Equations

T=mg (no acceleration as equilibirum)
sin rule?

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure where to start..the marking scheme shows that sin/cos rules are used but I don't understand why they are used.
At first i wrote that m1g=T, and m2gsin30=T. Therefore, resultant force on pulley is mqg+mwgsin30, but, this is a dead end

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Set up an equation for the net force that the strings exert on the pulley. You'll need to add vectors, so that's where those rules would apply.

ok, so the resultant force is 2Tcos30 along AQ and AP? how can we say for sure the two angles are the same?

Last edited:
thoradicus said:
ok, so the resultant force is 2Tcos30 along AQ and AP?
How did you get that?
how can we say for sure the two angles are the same?
What two angles?

Doc Al said:
How did you get that?

What two angles?

i assumed AP and AQ are hypotenuses to the line of direction of 3sqrt3. So, Tcos30 +Tcos30=3sqrt3?

Since the angle is 30 degrees, the other angle on top is 60 degrees. I assumed that the angle is divided equally into 2?

thoradicus said:
i assumed AP and AQ are hypotenuses to the line of direction of 3sqrt3. So, Tcos30 +Tcos30=3sqrt3?

Since the angle is 30 degrees, the other angle on top is 60 degrees. I assumed that the angle is divided equally into 2?
Ah, I see what you're doing. Yes, that's a fine way to add them up. You took advantage of symmetry, taking their components along the bisector of the 60° angle. Good!

I think you meant: Tcos30 + Tcos30 = T√3

(You can also use the law of cosines to add them up. Same answer, of course.)

Related to Tension Problem, with slope and 2 masses

1. What is a tension problem with slope and two masses?

A tension problem with slope and two masses is a physics problem that involves calculating the tension force in a rope or string that is attached to two masses on an inclined plane. The slope of the plane and the masses' weights are given, and the goal is to find the tension force in the rope.

2. How is tension calculated in a problem with slope and two masses?

To calculate tension in a problem with slope and two masses, you can use the formula T = mgsinθ, where T is the tension force, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and θ is the angle of the slope.

3. What is the role of slope in a tension problem?

The slope of the inclined plane affects the weight of the masses and the tension force in the rope. A steeper slope will result in a higher tension force, while a smaller slope will result in a lower tension force.

4. Can tension be negative in a problem with slope and two masses?

No, tension cannot be negative in a problem with slope and two masses. Tension is a force, and forces can only be positive or zero. A negative tension value would not make physical sense in this scenario.

5. What are some real-life applications of tension problems with slope and two masses?

Tension problems with slope and two masses can be applied to various real-life situations, such as calculating the tension force in a rope attached to a hanging weight, determining the tension in a cable supporting a bridge or a suspension system, and finding the tension in a rope used for rock climbing or zip lining.