A circuit with non-linear devices

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of infinite resistance in a circuit to simplify calculations. However, the use of the term "R" is misleading and not necessary to consider. The speaker suggests finding the operating point of two mystery devices in parallel and treating them as a single device to determine the potential drops across resistors. They also mention using load lines to find the operation point and provide a function for the currents passing through the devices.
JessicaHelena
Homework Statement
Two non-linear devices are placed in parallel in the circuit show in Figure 3-1. The resistors in the circuit have the following values: ##R_1 = 2## Ohms and ##R_2 = 1## Ohms.

The non-linear devices have different current-voltage (I-V) characteristics shown in Figure 3-2, where ##I_S = 1A## and ##V_S = 1V##.

1. Given that the current source, I = 3A, calculate the numerical value for v1 and v2.

2. Now assume that the current source, I = 1A, and calculate the numerical value for v1 and v2.
Relevant Equations
KVL, KCL
I honestly don't know how to quite even begin this problem.

Looking at Fig 3-2, the slopes of the graphs are 1/R, and hence where the slopes are 0, we have infinite resistance, in which case current wouldn't flow through that resistor and hence simplify the circuit. So I was trying to find ways to use that, only I don't really know what the conditions are for ##i_A, i_B, v_A, v_B##, and I don't think I could just randomly choose values I want to work with, could I?

Attachments

• Fig 3-1.png
    Fig 3-1.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 256
  • Fig 3-2.png
    Fig 3-2.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 265
Physics news on Phys.org
JessicaHelena said:
we have infinite resistance

No we don't. It's just that V/I has a value that is not a constant.
Again, the use of the term R is misleading here.

@BvU

Okay—I take it then that maybe I shouldn't concern myself with R's, such as R_A and R_B?

From the graphs N_A and N_B, at I_S = 1 and V_S = 1, i_A = 1 and i_B = 0... That is however wrong since if I have i_B = 0, I would not have a valid V/I.

How else might I approach this?

going with the previous idea that i_A = 1 and i_B = 0, I get v_1 = iA*R_1 = 2V and i_2 = 3-1 = 2A and hence v_2 = i_2*R_2 = 2V. And they turn out to be right.

But using the same method, my answers to Q2—2V and 0V for v_1 and v_2—turn out to be wrong... so it does seem like my method itself is wrong.

So the trick is to find the operating point of the two mystery devices, then knowing the total current they are passing use that to work out the potential drops across the two resistors.

I would try to form a "collective" I-V curve for the pair. Since they are in parallel they must both share the same potential across them, and the currents that they pass will sum (##I = I_A + I_B##).

Now treat this new I-V curve as a single device. Draw load lines on this plot to find the operation point (I'd turn the current source and resistors into their Thevenin equivalent to simplify this step).

vA=vB [Take different values up to I will be as required]

I=iA+iB+I2

I2=[(iA+iB)*R1+vA]/R2

iA=function(vA)

iB=function(vB)

function(vA)=

if vA<-1 iA=-1

if 0>vA>-1 iA=vA

if 0<vA<1 iA=vA

if vA>1 iA=1

function(vB)=

if vB<0 iA=1

if 0<vB<1 iB=1-vB

if vB>1 iB=vB-1

What is a non-linear device?

A non-linear device is an electronic component that does not follow Ohm's Law, which states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage across it. Non-linear devices have a varying resistance, current, and voltage relationship, making them more complex to analyze in circuits.

What are some examples of non-linear devices?

Some examples of non-linear devices include diodes, transistors, and thermistors. Diodes have a non-linear current-voltage relationship, while transistors have a non-linear current-gain relationship. Thermistors have a non-linear resistance-temperature relationship.

How do non-linear devices affect circuit analysis?

Non-linear devices can significantly impact circuit analysis because they do not follow Ohm's Law. This means that traditional methods of analyzing circuits, such as Kirchhoff's Laws and Thevenin's Theorem, may not be applicable. Non-linear devices require more complex analysis techniques, such as the use of differential equations and computer simulations.

Can non-linear devices be used to advantage in circuits?

Yes, non-linear devices can be used to advantage in circuits. For example, diodes can be used in rectifier circuits to convert AC power to DC power. Transistors are essential components in amplifiers and digital logic circuits. Thermistors are used in temperature sensors and inrush current limiters.

How can I troubleshoot problems with non-linear devices in a circuit?

If you encounter problems with non-linear devices in a circuit, you can try testing them individually to ensure they are functioning correctly. You can also use simulation software to analyze the circuit and identify any potential issues. Additionally, checking the circuit for incorrect wiring or component values can also help troubleshoot problems with non-linear devices.