A couple of integration problems

In summary, the integration problems are solved using the given limits and the necessary steps are shown to arrive at the simplified final solutions. The solutions are ((x^5)/5)-((x^3)/3)+x for problem a and 0 for problem b. It is important to simplify the fractions and reduce them to lowest terms to arrive at the final solution.
Cacophony

Homework Statement

a) S(4 is higher limit, 0 is lower limit) (x^4 - x^2 + 1)dx

b) S(pi is higher limit, -pi is lower limit) (cosx + sinx)dx

Homework Equations

The S is the integration sign

The Attempt at a Solution

a) = ((x^5)/5)-((x^3)/3)+x I(4 high, 0 low)

= (((4^5)/5)-((4^3)/3)+4)-(0)

Is this the final solution or is there another step i don't know about?

b) = (sinx + -cosx) dx I(pi high, -pi low)
= (sin(pi)-cos(pi))-(sin(-pi)-cos(-pi))

Is this the final solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
While your answers are technically correct, you should simplify them both. Put in the values of ##\cos \pi## and ##\sin \pi##.

so basically:

(0-1)-(0-1)?

Cacophony said:
so basically:

(0-1)-(0-1)?

You consider that simplified? What's your final answer?

0 right

do I simplify the first one aswell? Cause someone said I didn't have to.

0 is the correct answer, but I'm not sure you didn't make a couple of cancelling arithmetic mistakes along the way. In post #3 it appears you made the following step:

(sin(pi)-cos(pi))-(sin(-pi)-cos(-pi))
= (0-1)-(0-1)

The arithmetic in that step has two errors. With regard to your first one, I wouldn't consider it simplified until it is a single fraction reduced to lowest terms.

I'm not following. What do you mean reduced to lowest terms?

Cacophony said:
I'm not following. What do you mean reduced to lowest terms?

(((4^5)/5)-((4^3)/3)+4)-(0)

I mean combine the three terms into a single fraction; get rid of all those parentheses.

A fraction is reduced to lowest terms when the numerator and denominator have no common factors. For example, you wouldn't leave an answer as ##\frac{42}{30}## when it could be reduced to ##\frac{7}{5}##.

What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. It is the inverse operation of differentiation and is commonly used in calculus and other areas of mathematics.

What are some common integration techniques?

Some common integration techniques include substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. These techniques allow for the simplification of integrals and make them easier to solve.

What are the applications of integration?

Integration has many applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. It is used to calculate quantities such as work, displacement, and profits, and is essential in understanding and solving real-world problems.

How do you solve improper integrals?

Improper integrals are integrals with infinite limits or integrals with discontinuous functions. To solve them, we use limits to determine if the integral converges or diverges. If it converges, we can then evaluate the integral using standard integration techniques.

What are the limitations of integration?

Integration has its limitations, as not all functions can be integrated analytically. Some functions require advanced techniques or cannot be integrated at all. In these cases, numerical methods can be used to approximate the integral.