1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A couple simple linear algebra questions.

1. Dec 13, 2012 #1
    I think I know the answer to these questions, but I jsut want to make sure.

1) If A is invertible then A+A is invertible. True/False
    True.

Because det(A)≠0, det(A+A)=det(2A)=2^n * det(A)≠0

Is this correct.

2) A 3x3 matrix can have 2 distinct eigenvalues. True/False
    True, although I was kind of confused with what "distinct" means.
    The characteristic polynomial can look something like this: (λ-1)^2 * (λ+2)
    Distinct just refers to the # of "different" eigenvalues right? And doesn't include them again if they're repeated?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2012 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Yup, you first one looks good. As does your second one.

Distinct does indeed refer to the amount of DIFFERENT eigenvalues a matrix has in this case.

In general, if you have an nxn matrix, it CAN have as many as n distinct eigenvalues.

4. Dec 13, 2012 #3
    so basically 0≤λ≤n?

5. Dec 13, 2012 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

What does this statement mean? What is λ?

I think what you're intending is to say that there are going to be greater than or equal to zero eigenvalues for a nxn matrix, this is incorrect to assume. Is a matrix really a matrix if n = 0? Even the statement makes me cringe.

Really, we're only concerned with the eigenvalues of matrices for n ≥ 2 and only square matrices are considered.

So supposing that A is an nxn matrix. The fewest eigenvalues it can have is 1 and that's only if the algebraic multiplicity of the eigenvalue equals n. Otherwise it can have up to n eigenvalues. I hope that clears that up for you :).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook