1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A doubt in angular momentum problem

1. Dec 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    if a disk is rotating on another stationary disk and someone standing on the stationary disk stops it what will the final angular velocity of both the disks be?
    the catch is that both the disks are not co axial. assume ω angular velocity, M mass of big disk.m mass of small disk.R radius of larger disk,R/2 radius of small disk.I1=moment of inertia of big disk with respect to axis 1,I2=moment of inertia of small disk with respect to axis 2
    Untitled1.png
    2. Relevant equations
    conservation of angular momentum

3. The attempt at a solution

what is the angular momentum of the small disk with respect to the axis of the larger disk?
    its definitely not I2ω since it would be angular momentum about axis 2.please help

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your question as stated has a totally trivial answer. Since the question asks what is the final angular velocity of both disks after they are both stationary the answer is zero.

4. Dec 26, 2014 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why do you think it cannot be the same?
    You can represent a rotation about one axis as the sum of a linear motion and a rotation about another axis. Try doing that to express the smaller disk's rotation about axis 1.

5. Dec 27, 2014 #4
    so you mean total angular momentum of small disk about axis 1 is the sum of angular momentum of the disk about axis 2(here, assuming it does'nt rotate about axis 1) and the angular momentum of the small disk about axis1 (here, assuming it does'nt rotate about axis 2)?

6. Dec 27, 2014 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That can't be right - the first and third items in that list are the same: "the angular momentum of the small disk about axis1."
    I'm saying that the small disk's rotation about its own axis can be rewritten (as an instantaneous description) as a rotation about axis 1 plus a linear motion. This only applies as a snapshot, but it gives you a way to handle what happens when the small disk is locked to the large disk.
    Can you see how to do the rewrite? The angular velocity will be the same, and the linear velocity will be whatever is needed to make the centre of disk 1 instantaneously stationary.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted