A few problems on MOTION IN ONE DIMENSION

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to motion in one dimension. The first problem involves calculating the road distance covered by a car in order to cross another car. The second problem involves finding the final velocity of a bullet fired from a police car chasing a thief's car. The flaw in the solution provided in the book for the first problem is questioned, while the solution for the second problem is explained by using the concept of relative velocity. The conversation ends with a thank you for the help provided.
app
A few problems on "MOTION IN ONE DIMENSION"

INTRODUCTION: Here are a problem on "Motion in one-dimension".
THE PROBLEMS: (1) "Car A is just behind Car B.Both are 5m long.The velocity of A is 15 m/s while that of B is 10 m/s. Find the road distnace covered by Car A to cross Car B."
WHAT MY BRAIN SUGGESTED: Let's say Car B moves 'x' distance in time t. So, for Car A to cross Car B, it has to move by a distance of 'x+10' in the same time interval t (since Car A has to move an extra distance of the sum of its own length and that of Car B, so as to cross Car B). So, the equation that stands is x/10 = (x+10)/15. Thus from this equation, x is 20. So, road distance covered by Car A is x+10= (20+10)= 30m.
WHAT MY BOOK SAYS: The answer given in my book is 35m. But i don't know how!
WHAT I WANT TO KNOW: I just want to know the flaw in my calculation. To me, my method seems allright.But why is the answer not matching?
THE PROBLEMS (Contd.): (2) "A police jeep is chasing with 45 km/h.A thief in another jeep is moving with 155km/h. Police fires a bullet with muzzle velocity 180m/s. Find the velocity with which the bullet strikes the jeep of the thief."
WHAT MY BRAIN SUGGESTED:
How is it possible to find the final velocity without knowing the distance travelled? I mean the problem doesn't give the initial distance between the two jeeps. ***ERROR PROCESSING*** BRAIN CANNOT SUGGEST ANYTHING***INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR MY BRAIN.
WHAT MY BOOK SAYS: The solution of this problem is given in my book. It says: "V= v(police) + v(bullet) - v(thief). Putting the values and changing km/h to m/s, the answer given is 150m/s.
WHAT I WANT TO KNOW: How do we get the above formula(the one given in my book)?
CONCLUSION: Hey, I'm really confused. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1) Car A travels at speed of 5m/s wrt car B. Car A has to travel 10m wrt to car B to pass the car B, and it takes 2s to do that. In a meanwhile during that 2seconds, car B traveled 2*10 = 20m.

So adding 20m + 10m = 30m. That's what you got. Are you sure the textbook answer is right? Can anyone else give me & app any ideas if we are doing something wrong?

2) The thief car is traveling 155m/s. The police car is traveling 45m/s, so the thief car is traveling 105m/s wrt to the police car. The police fires bullet at the speed of 180m/s, but it only travels at the speed of 180-105= 75m/s wrt the thief car.

I hope that helped.

I Dont Get The Second Answer.

I think the first one is ok, i.e. maybe the answer given in the book is wrong. But i don't get your second answer. and its 155 km/h and not m/s. its a jeep, not a supersonic jet. only the velocity of bullet is 180m/s.

haha, true enough... we probably won't live long enough to see a jeep capable of traveling at 155m/s.

Anyway, just do a conversion of speed of bullet into km/h, then do the same thing. Basically the jeep is faster than the police car. If you think the police car is stationary (i.e. v = 0km/h), then the jeep is traveling at 105km/h. The bullet speed is measured wrt to the police car, so the actual speed of the bullet (i.e. in the lab frame of reference) it is 180m/s + 45km/h (whatever that works out to).

Draw a little diagram if you haven't done so yet. it always helps me when doing questions like this.

I agree, the book answer is wrong.

For the second problem, kcirick's idea is right, he just made a mistake with the units. The book is correct here.

The velocity of the bullet is as it comes out of the muzzle of the gun. If the guns muzzle is already traveling at 45 km/h, then the actual velocity of the bullet (with respect to the ground), will be 180 m/s + 45 km/h.

If you can throw a ball standing still at 10 m/s, and you can run at 10 m/s, then you can throw a ball at 20 m/s by throwing it while you are running. It's the same idea.

But the thief's car is also moving, away from the bullet. So the actual velocity of the bullet, relative to the moving thief's car, is reduced by the velocity of the moving target.

So if you can catch a ball at 10 m/s, but you can't catch it at 20 m/s, just run at 10 m/s in the direction of the ball. Then it's velocity, relative to you, will be 10 m/s and you can catch it.

Hope this was helpfuly.

Dorothy

Thanks...

THANK YOU: Hey, thanks a lot for helping. Now I got the second one. But are you sure the book's answer for the first one is wrong? I am quite sure it is wrong. But was just being surer. Anyway, thanks again.

What is motion in one dimension?

Motion in one dimension is the movement of an object along a single straight line. It is often described using concepts such as distance, displacement, speed, and velocity.

What are the basic equations for motion in one dimension?

The basic equations for motion in one dimension are:

• Distance = Speed x Time
  • Displacement = Velocity x Time
  • Final Velocity = Initial Velocity + Acceleration x Time
  • Displacement = (Final Velocity + Initial Velocity) x Time / 2
  • Final Velocity^2 = Initial Velocity^2 + 2 x Acceleration x Displacement

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a scalar quantity that measures how fast an object is moving, regardless of direction. Velocity is a vector quantity that measures the rate of change of an object's position in a specific direction.

How does acceleration affect an object's motion in one dimension?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. If an object experiences a constant acceleration, its velocity will change by the same amount each second. This means that the object's speed will increase or decrease at a constant rate.

What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance is the total length an object has traveled, regardless of direction. Displacement is the shortest distance between an object's starting and ending position, taking into account direction. It can be positive, negative, or zero, depending on the direction of motion.