A few simple questions about Susy

• Thread starter nrqed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Susy
In summary, the Wikipedia entry on susy says that there are 32 supersymmetry generators in 4 dimensions, and that in N=2 there is a single central supersymmetry generator.
nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The Wikipedia entry on susy says

"Typically the number of copies of a supersymmetry is a power of 2, i.e. 1, 2, 4, 8. In four dimensions, a spinor has four degrees of freedom and thus the minimal number of supersymmetry generators is four in four dimensions and having eight copies of supersymmetry means that there are 32 supersymmetry generators."

Why is that we consider only powers of 2? I don't see why this follows from the basic definition of the algebra.

Also, a simple question: does anyone know the origin of the term "R symmetry"? Why is it called this way? A wild guess would be that the R stands for "rotation" as it implements a kind of rotation between the fields but I am only guessing here, I would appreciate knowing for sure where it comes from.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
nrqed said:
Why is that we consider only powers of 2? I don't see why this follows from the basic definition of the algebra.
Isn't 2 just the grading that makes the Lie algebras super?

fresh_42 said:
Isn't 2 just the grading that makes the Lie algebras super?
Well, the supercharges are [itex] Q_\alpha^I [/itex] plus their dagger, where alpha takes two values and I runs from 1 to N, the number of supersymmetry. For N=2, that makes a total of 8 supercharges which can be organized into 4 creation operators and 4 annihilation operators. I don't see why we could not take N=3.

I'm no physicist and have a rather mathematical point of view. (My curiosity led me here.) But won't you loose then all those tools like the quaternions and Graßmann algebras in this context? I always thought these were the main technical reasons to consider SUSY at all because they deliver the framework.

nrqed said:
The Wikipedia entry on susy says

"Typically the number of copies of a supersymmetry is a power of 2, i.e. 1, 2, 4, 8. In four dimensions, a spinor has four degrees of freedom and thus the minimal number of supersymmetry generators is four in four dimensions and having eight copies of supersymmetry means that there are 32 supersymmetry generators."

It is not really the case that we only consider powers of 2, it is that spinors in various dimensions have properties such that, when all requirements are considered, it might be that there are additional SUSYs present. For instance, there is the possibility of rigid ##N=3## in 4d, but once you add the CPT conjugate of the simplest multiplet, you fill a vector multiplet of ##N=4## SUSY. I believe that this example is discussed in Weinberg's vol. 3. However, there is a rigid ##N=3## multiplet in 3d, so the statement in the wiki is not a hard rule.

I don't know a reference off-hand for these uncommon SUSYs, but I would suspect that the relatively recent text of van Proeyen would give the completest discussion.

Also, a simple question: does anyone know the origin of the term "R symmetry"? Why is it called this way? A wild guess would be that the R stands for "rotation" as it implements a kind of rotation between the fields but I am only guessing here, I would appreciate knowing for sure where it comes from.

Yes, you are probably right about the origin. In superspace, it is most explicitly the analogue of the rotation group for the Grassman directions. Otherwise it can be viewed as internal rotation of the SUSY charges.

Likes nrqed
fzero said:
It is not really the case that we only consider powers of 2, it is that spinors in various dimensions have properties such that, when all requirements are considered, it might be that there are additional SUSYs present. For instance, there is the possibility of rigid ##N=3## in 4d, but once you add the CPT conjugate of the simplest multiplet, you fill a vector multiplet of ##N=4## SUSY. I believe that this example is discussed in Weinberg's vol. 3. However, there is a rigid ##N=3## multiplet in 3d, so the statement in the wiki is not a hard rule.

I don't know a reference off-hand for these uncommon SUSYs, but I would suspect that the relatively recent text of van Proeyen would give the completest discussion.
Yes, you are probably right about the origin. In superspace, it is most explicitly the analogue of the rotation group for the Grassman directions. Otherwise it can be viewed as internal rotation of the SUSY charges.
Ah, very informative. Thank you for the reply, fzero.

I have another related question: Let's consider N=2, then there is a single central charge Z. Is this quantity complex or real? Some expressions make it look like Z is complex (for example they will use Z* in the anti-commutation relations of the Q dagger) but the BPS bound is (in some normalization at least) [itex] M \geq \sqrt{2} Z [/itex], which seems to imply that Z is real. So is it real or complex?

nrqed said:
I have another related question: Let's consider N=2, then there is a single central charge Z. Is this quantity complex or real? Some expressions make it look like Z is complex (for example they will use Z* in the anti-commutation relations of the Q dagger) but the BPS bound is (in some normalization at least) [itex] M \geq \sqrt{2} Z [/itex], which seems to imply that Z is real. So is it real or complex?

##Z## is generally complex, so the correct BPS bound is ##M\geq \sqrt{2} |Z|##. For the ##N=2## pure vector multiplet, if you explicitly construct the supercurrents, you can work out an expression
$$ Z = a ( n_e + \tau n_m),$$
where ##a## is the VEV of the complex scalar in the vector multiplet, ##\tau = \theta/(2\pi) + 4\pi i/g^2## is the complexified coupling and ##(n_e,n_m)## are integer electric and magnetic charges for the state used to compute the charge. There are some details culminating on pg. 40 of http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9701069. We can see that ##Z## can be real under certain conditions, including ##n_m=0## and ##a## real.

Likes nrqed
fzero said:
##Z## is generally complex, so the correct BPS bound is ##M\geq \sqrt{2} |Z|##. For the ##N=2## pure vector multiplet, if you explicitly construct the supercurrents, you can work out an expression
where ##a## is the VEV of the complex scalar in the vector multiplet, ##\tau = \theta/(2\pi) + 4\pi i/g^2## is the complexified coupling and ##(n_e,n_m)## are integer electric and magnetic charges for the state used to compute the charge. There are some details culminating on pg. 40 of http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9701069. We can see that ##Z## can be real under certain conditions, including ##n_m=0## and ##a## real.
Great, this is very useful. Thank you for your time!

fzero said:
But in that paper, on page 25, they write
[tex] \{b_\alpha, b_\beta^\dagger \} = \delta_{\alpha,\beta} (M- \sqrt{2} \, Z ) [/tex]

If I take alpha = beta and I sandwiched this between [itex] |\psi\rangle [/itex] and [itex] \langle \psi | [/itex], it seems to me that I get that [itex] M- \sqrt{2} \, Z [/itex] must be a great or equal to zero, real quantity. And yet, just below they say that they get [itex] M \geq \sqrt{2} \, |Z| [/itex]. I don't see where the absolute value comes from.

nrqed said:
But in that paper, on page 25, they write
[tex] \{b_\alpha, b_\beta^\dagger \} = \delta_{\alpha,\beta} (M- \sqrt{2} \, Z ) [/tex]

If I take alpha = beta and I sandwiched this between [itex] |\psi\rangle [/itex] and [itex] \langle \psi | [/itex], it seems to me that I get that [itex] M- \sqrt{2} \, Z [/itex] must be a great or equal to zero, real quantity. And yet, just below they say that they get [itex] M \geq \sqrt{2} \, |Z| [/itex]. I don't see where the absolute value comes from.

I had forgotten something that led to this confusion. I said that ##Z## was in general complex, but I believe that we can use an R-symmetry transformation to rotate the ##Q^A_\alpha## to make the central charge real. This is a unitary transformation, so it wouldn't make the ##\{Q,\bar{Q}\}## commutator nonreal. If we didn't do this, in any given massive state, we can absorb the phase of ##Z## into the normalization of the state, so the central charge eigenvalue on that state can be considered real. Then the norm of any state will be real and things make better sense. Now since our positivity condition is ##M\pm \sqrt{2} Z \geq 0##, we see that we must have ##M\geq \sqrt{2} |Z|##, where ##|Z|## is absolute value.

Likes nrqed
fzero said:
I had forgotten something that led to this confusion. I said that ##Z## was in general complex, but I believe that we can use an R-symmetry transformation to rotate the ##Q^A_\alpha## to make the central charge real. This is a unitary transformation, so it wouldn't make the ##\{Q,\bar{Q}\}## commutator nonreal. If we didn't do this, in any given massive state, we can absorb the phase of ##Z## into the normalization of the state, so the central charge eigenvalue on that state can be considered real. Then the norm of any state will be real and things make better sense. Now since our positivity condition is ##M\pm \sqrt{2} Z \geq 0##, we see that we must have ##M\geq \sqrt{2} |Z|##, where ##|Z|## is absolute value.
Ah! That makes perfect sense, thank you!

(and I hope you will manage to get a look at my other post on the Tachikawa paper. If not, I thank you for all your help!)

fresh_42 said:
I'm not sure whether it's correct to post it here. But some trouble for the SM lurks around:
http://cerncourier.com/cws/article/cern/62874

thanks for this news. Maybe it should be published in a more popular written way

1. What is Susy?

Susy is a grid layout engine, or framework, used in web design and development. It is a tool that helps create responsive and flexible layouts for websites and applications.

2. How does Susy differ from other grid systems?

Susy is different from other grid systems in that it is a lightweight, flexible, and customizable solution. Unlike other grid frameworks, Susy does not rely on predefined grid classes, making it more flexible for designers and developers to create unique layouts.

3. What are the benefits of using Susy?

Susy offers several benefits, including its lightweight nature, customizable grid options, and support for responsive design. It also allows for more creativity and flexibility in layout design compared to other grid frameworks.

4. Is Susy suitable for beginners?

Susy can be a bit more challenging for beginners to grasp compared to other grid frameworks. However, there are plenty of resources and tutorials available to help beginners learn how to use Susy effectively.

5. Can Susy be used with other CSS frameworks?

Yes, Susy is a standalone tool that can be used with any CSS framework or without any framework at all. It can also be used in conjunction with other CSS preprocessors, such as Sass or Less.