1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A fish is 10 cm from the front surface of a spherical fish bowl

1. Nov 22, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A fish is 10 cm from the front surface of a spherical fish bowl
    of radius 20 cm. (a) How far behind the surface of the bowl does the fish appear
    to someone viewing the fish from in front of the bowl? (b) By what distance does
    the fish’s apparent location change (relative to the front surface of the bowl) when
    it swims away to 30 cm from the front surface?

2. Relevant equations
    (n1/s)+(n2/s')=(n2-n1)/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    This problem was in the solution manual. It is one part that I don't understand. for s (object distance) they had it as -10cm, not +10cm. Why is that? In the book, the definition is that "s is positive for objects on the incident-light side of the surface" for refraction. Is this one different because the person is viewing from the other side the fish is on thus flipping the signs?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2011 #2
    Re: Optics

can someone please answer my question.

4. Nov 23, 2011 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Re: Optics

I'd say that the book is inconsistent. The position of the person viewing is irrelevant. s should be +; s' will turn out to be negative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook