Geometric Optics: Find Fish Apparent Position & Length in Fishtank

In summary: Yes, I don't see why the glass would not behave approximately as a lens. You know the radii.But I hadn't noticed you have treated the water as a flat surface. That will behave as a lens too.
whatisreality

Homework Statement

A fish 2cm long is floating in a spherical glass fishtank with radius 20cm. The glass is 0.8cm thick and has index of refraction n=1.56. The index of refraction of water is 1.33. Find the apparent position and length of the fish.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried just applying the same equations I would normally:
##\frac{n_a}{s} + \frac{n_b}{s'} = \frac{n_b-n_a}{R}##
s is object distance, s' image distance, R radius of curvature. I used s=10cm, s' unknown, R=-10cm and got s' to be -156/11.
The magnification at this point is
##m=-\frac{n_as'}{n_bs}##
So m= 1.209... and the fish appears to be 2.42cm long.
Problem is, if this is the right approach I don't really know how to interpret the answers. Is the observer at the interface between materials? Where does 0.8cm come into it? Can I just apply the same equations again to find what the person outside the fishtank sees?

Physics news on Phys.org
I know it's more work, but it helps readers a lot if you post all your working. In the above, I can't tell what you are plugging in for the indices without trying to reproduce your answer.

haruspex said:
I know it's more work, but it helps readers a lot if you post all your working. In the above, I can't tell what you are plugging in for the indices without trying to reproduce your answer.
Well, I was only considering the first boundary between the water and the glass, so I used na=1.33 and nb=1.56.Then I don't know what to do about the second boundary between the glass and air.

whatisreality said:
Well, I was only considering the first boundary between the water and the glass, so I used na=1.33 and nb=1.56.Then I don't know what to do about the second boundary between the glass and air.
Since the glass is only a shell, it would probably more accurate to ignore the glass and just consider air and water.
To bring the glass into it, draw a diagram. You have the fish on one side, a curved piece of glass, viewer on the other side. What are the radii of curvature of the inside and outside of the glass? Regard it as a lens.

Does a lens of constant thickness behave according to the lensmakers equation? I think I can take the lens to be thin. We haven't actually covered lenses though...

whatisreality said:
Does a lens of constant thickness behave according to the lensmakers equation? I think I can take the lens to be thin. We haven't actually covered lenses though...
Yes, I don't see why the glass would not behave approximately as a lens. You know the radii.
But I hadn't noticed you have treated the water as a flat surface. That will behave as a lens too. Puzzled that you'd be given this question before covering lenses in your studies.

Oh. I didn't know that about the water. I think I'll wait until my professor goes through the answers! Thank you for helping :)

1. What is geometric optics?

Geometric optics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of light as it travels through different media, such as air, water, or glass. It focuses on how light behaves in the form of rays, and how these rays can be manipulated and measured.

2. How can I find the apparent position of a fish in a fishtank using geometric optics?

To find the apparent position of a fish in a fishtank, you will need to use the principles of geometric optics, such as refraction and reflection. You can do this by observing the fish from different angles and using Snell's law to calculate the apparent position of the fish in the fishtank.

3. What is the length of a fish in a fishtank?

The length of a fish in a fishtank can be determined by using the principles of geometric optics. By measuring the apparent size of the fish from different angles and using the laws of refraction and reflection, you can calculate the actual length of the fish in the fishtank.

4. What are some practical applications of geometric optics?

Geometric optics has many practical applications in our daily lives. It is used in the design of lenses for glasses and cameras, in the construction of telescopes and microscopes, and in the development of optical instruments for medical imaging and laser technology. It is also used in the study of atmospheric optics and the behavior of light in natural phenomena such as rainbows and mirages.

5. How does geometric optics help us understand the underwater world?

Geometric optics plays a crucial role in understanding the underwater world. By studying the behavior of light as it travels through water, we can determine the apparent position and size of objects underwater, such as fish in a fishtank. This knowledge is also applied in underwater photography and in the design of equipment for scuba diving and underwater exploration.