Find magnification of a fish in a fish bowl

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnification of a goldfish in a spherical fish bowl for a viewer looking along a specific line. The conversation includes relevant equations and a solution attempt, but there is uncertainty about the sign convention for a variable.
MrMoose

Homework Statement

A goldfish in a spherical fish bowl of radius R is at the level of the center of the bowl and at distance R/2 from the glass. What magnification of the fish is produced by the water of the bowl for a viewer looking along a line that includes the fish and the center, from the fish's side of the center? The index of refraction of the water in the bowl is 1.33 Neglect the glass wall of the bowl. Assume the viewer looks with one eye. (Hint: Eq. 35-5 holds, but Eq. 35-6 does not. You need to work with a ray diagram of the situation and assume that the rays are close to the observer's line of sight.)

Homework Equations

m = h'/h (Eq 35-5)

m = -i/p (Eq 35-6)

n1/p + n2/i = (n2-n1)/r

n2*sin(θ2) = n1*sin(θ1)

Small angle assumption: Tanθ = Sinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

First solve for the image distance, i

n1/p + n2/i = (n2-n1)/r

i = n2/(n2/r - n1/r - n1/p)

The problem tells you that the object distance p = r/2

i = n2*r/(n2 - 3*n1)

Since n2 for air ~ 1

i = -r/(1 - 3*n1)

i is negative because the image is virtual

Second, find the relation between the object height, h, and the image height, h' (see attached drawing)

Tan(θ1) = h/p

Tan(θ2) = h'/i

The law of refraction states: n1*sin(θ1) = n2*sin(θ2)

Also, using the small angle assumption: Tanθ = Sinθ

n1*(h/p) = n2*(h'/i)

Solve for h'/h

h'/h = n1*i/(p*n2)

where n2~1, p = r/2 and i = -r/(1 - 3*n1)

h'/h = -2*n1/(1-3*n1) = 0.89

The correct answer is 1.14. Please help. Thanks in advance, MrMoose

Attachments

• fish0.jpg
    fish0.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 797
Physics news on Phys.org
MrMoose said:
n1/p + n2/i = (n2-n1)/r
Is there a sign convention for r in this equation?

1. How do you find the magnification of a fish in a fish bowl?

To find the magnification of a fish in a fish bowl, you will need to determine the size of the fish and the size of the bowl. Then, divide the size of the fish by the size of the bowl to calculate the magnification.

2. Why is it important to find the magnification of a fish in a fish bowl?

Knowing the magnification of a fish in a fish bowl can help you understand the size and scale of the fish relative to its environment. This can also be important for maintaining a healthy and appropriate living space for the fish.

3. What tools or equipment do I need to find the magnification of a fish in a fish bowl?

You will need a ruler or measuring tape to determine the size of the fish and the bowl. You may also need a magnifying glass or microscope for more precise measurements.

4. Can the magnification of a fish in a fish bowl change?

Yes, the magnification of a fish in a fish bowl can change depending on the size of the fish and the size of the bowl. It may also change if the fish grows or if the water level in the bowl changes.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the magnification of a fish in a fish bowl?

Yes, the shape and curvature of the fish bowl can also affect the magnification. A round bowl may distort the size of the fish compared to a rectangular or square bowl.