A formula to calculate speed on loop de loop

In summary: The time to go around the loop can be found by multiplying the circumference (in meters) by the time it takes to go around the loop (in seconds).
Jaja
I am trying to calculate the average speed of a car while traveling around a loop de loop in m/s and km/h can anybody help? Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There will be several willing to help ... only if they see some initial attempt

Likes Jaja
Jaja said:
I am trying to calculate the average speed of a hotwheels car while traveling around a loop de loop in m/s and km/h can anybody help? Thanks
I have been watching loop de loops on youtube and was wanting to see if I could calculate it on the hotwheels track. I worked out the minimum speed the car has to be at the top of the track to be 0.431m/s or 1.55 km/hr but calculating the average speed below , it seems too fast. Wondering if I have the formula right.

Loop radius: 19cm. Loop Time= 0.041 secs

Circumference = 2pi * 19cm radius = 0.038pi (meters)
0.038pi / 0.041 secs = avg speed in m/s
0.038pi / 0.041 = 2.91 m/s
To convert to km/h
2.91m/s * 3600 (seconds in hours) / 1000 (1000meters = km)
2.91 * 3.6 = 10.5 km/h

So the hotwheels car was traveling 2.91m/s or 10.5km/h

Jaja said:
Wondering if I have the formula right.

One can use the principle of the conservation of energy to derive the required formula.

Likes Jaja
The limiting case of a car 'just' keeping on the track when at the top of the invert will be when the centripetal acceleration (v2/r ) is equal to g. (i.e. it is just in contact with the track) At the bottom, the extra KE will be the same as the gravitational potential difference between top and bottom (mgh). The total KE gives you the velocity, which will give you the effective 'g' at the bottom. Believe in the formula and apply it correctly and the numbers will be right.

Likes Jaja
How do you know the time to go around the loop?
And your minimum speed at the top sem to be off. For a radius of 19 cm should be around 1.4 m/s I believe.

Last edited:
Likes Jaja
Ok thank you very much

nasu said:
And your minimum speed at the top sem to be off. For a radius of 19 cm should be around 1.4 m/s I believe.
If it was, can you show me how you did the formula
Thanks

The formula can be obtained by using the principle of the conservation of energy... as I said earlier!

Likes Jaja
grzz said:
The formula can be obtained by using the principle of the conservation of energy... as I said earlier!
So can you show me how to do the formula as I looked on the Internet of conservation of energy I didn't understand how to use it in my question

Th
nasu said:
thank you, yes I made an error now this is starting to make sense

1. What is a loop de loop?

A loop de loop is a type of roller coaster element where the track makes a complete 360-degree vertical loop. This creates a feeling of weightlessness and is a thrilling experience for riders.

2. Can you explain the formula for calculating speed on a loop de loop?

The formula for calculating speed on a loop de loop is v = √(rg), where v is the velocity in meters per second, r is the radius of the loop in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). This formula takes into account the forces acting on the train and ensures that it maintains enough speed to complete the loop without falling off the track.

3. How do you determine the radius of the loop for the formula?

The radius of the loop can be determined by measuring the highest point of the loop (called the apex) and the lowest point of the loop (called the base). The radius is then calculated by dividing the distance between the apex and base by 2.

4. Is this formula accurate for all types of roller coasters?

The formula for calculating speed on a loop de loop is based on the principles of physics and is accurate for all types of roller coasters that have a circular loop element. However, other factors such as friction, air resistance, and train design may affect the actual speed of the ride.

5. How can this formula be used in designing a roller coaster?

This formula can be used by engineers and designers to ensure that the roller coaster train maintains enough speed to complete the loop safely. It can also be used to calculate the minimum speed needed for a loop de loop to be included in a ride's design. Additionally, the formula can be used to make adjustments to the track layout or train design to achieve a desired speed for the loop de loop element.