A function generator that cannot kill you? Very low currents.

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a function generator that can output very low currents without causing harm when connected to the human body. The participants discuss using resistors to limit the current and mention some potential risks of experimenting with electricity. They also suggest using an IC waveform generator or purchasing a commercially-available TENS device. The original poster is a physics major considering taking on electrical engineering as well and asks for recommendations on a affordable function generator that can precisely adjust currents from 0.0002A to 0.001A. The conversation ends with a warning to be cautious when working with electricity and to use a multimeter to measure current levels.
JayArpeggios
Hi, I am looking for a function generator that if you hooked up to yourself, wouldn't kill you. I need something that can output very low currents through the skin without harm. Honestly a 9V battery causes too high of a current for my purpose, but I do need to very finely tune the current. Can anyone help?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you actually want but function generators, in general, are not lethal. The only way it can give you discomfort is if you stick the leads across your tongue. That will jolt you but still not kill you. Output volts are normally only a few Volts.
What is your actual application? Putting a high value of resistor in series with the 9V battery can limit the current to as low as you want. A 9MΩ (megaOhm) resistor in series with 9v will give 1μA (microAmp). Is that low enough for you? :) How do you intend to measure these currents - and what do you want them to do for you?

How is 9 V output supposed to be dangeorous for humans at any frequency?

zoki85 said:
How is 9 V output supposed to be dangeorous for humans at any frequency?
Embed it in your brain, perhaps?

Haha

Attach the electrodes Igor.
Yeth mathter.

Licking of 9 V AC can be quite unplasant too o0)

Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation devices, also neuromuscular electrical stimulation.

I had Bells (facial) Palsy as an adolescent with NMES prescribed to maintain muscle tone in my face while recovering.

More recently I impinged my (coincidentally) Bell's Long Thoracic Nerve enervating my Rt Anterior Seratus and giving me an winging scapula. Diagnosis involved electromyography to determine the extent of the insult injury.

I have to wonder what exactly the OP has in mind!

I remember, as a lad, hooking up a bicycle dynamo (AC) to an ignition coil and having fun in our garage. But I was an eejit in those days. (Nothing changes)

There are also devices for sexual stimulation of women. One electrode in vagina-other electrode in rectum. Dunno about voltage output and waveform though.

Back to my family garage in 1961!

Sad to report that the experiment was of no great merit. But, at that age, anything was better than nothing. lol

Thank you for all your silly comments I think I just feel in love with this forum, haha! I'm sorry for my limited knowledge on this stuff, I'm a physics major however I have a few meetings next week to discuss if I will be taking on EE as a 2nd major, minor, or focus.

Anyways, any recommendations of a function generator to buy, preferably affordable. I really hope I can easily tweak currents from 0.0002A to 0.001A.

JayArpeggios said:
Thank you for all your silly comments I think I just feel in love with this forum, haha! I'm sorry for my limited knowledge on this stuff, I'm a physics major however I have a few meetings next week to discuss if I will be taking on EE as a 2nd major, minor, or focus.

Anyways, any recommendations of a function generator to buy, preferably affordable. I really hope I can easily tweak currents from 0.0002A to 0.001A.

All kidding aside, you really can hurt yourself if you don't know what you are doing, and start putting electrodes on your body. Can you say more about what you are wanting to do? Buying a commercially-available TENS device may be your best option. They have come down in price a lot over the past few years...

BTW, I have a friend of a friend who knows somebody who was working on an EEG device design, and decided to try connecting a 9V battery momentarily to a couple anterior electrodes. Let's just say that he won't be doing that again any time soon (hurt like hell) o0)

Well, one can get hurt by 9 V battery in a various ways, and with very little aditional equipment. For instance, << Interesting example deleted by Mentor as being a bit dangerous... >>

You might consider just using an IC waveform generator like an XR-8038. This'll let you get a triangle, sine, or square wave. They're significantly less expensive than a purpose made function generator. The voltage you get out is limited by what you put in, so if the whole thing is driven with a couple of AA batteries, you're not going to deliver a ton of power. If you're concerned about current, you can always limit it with resistors. If you're set on a function generator, don't worry too much on the current, as you can limit current by adding components to the circuit. Just be sure to measure where it's at with a multimeter if you're going to do weird body stuff with it. Sorry, but I don't know brands well.

zoki85 said:
Well, one can get hurt by 9 V battery in a various ways, and with very little aditional equipment. For instance, << Interesting example deleted by Mentor as being a bit dangerous... >>
Can't be that dangerous if it's on the internet.:oops:

1. What is a function generator that cannot kill you?

A function generator is an electronic device that produces various types of electrical waveforms, such as sine, square, or triangle waves. A function generator that cannot kill you means that it is designed to generate very low currents that are safe for human use.

2. How is this function generator different from other generators?

This function generator is specifically designed to produce very low currents, making it safe for human use. Other generators may produce higher currents that can be dangerous or even fatal if mishandled.

3. What are the applications of a function generator that cannot kill you?

This type of function generator is commonly used in scientific experiments, electronic testing, and medical devices where precise and safe electrical signals are needed.

4. Is it possible for this function generator to still cause harm?

While this function generator is designed to be safe for human use, it is always important to follow safety guidelines and use it properly. If used incorrectly or with other dangerous equipment, it can still potentially cause harm.

5. How can I ensure that this function generator is safe to use?

It is important to only use the function generator as directed by the manufacturer and to follow all safety precautions. Additionally, regularly inspect the device for any damage or malfunctions and do not use it if there are any concerns.