A Further Question on Proper and Continuous Mappings .... D&K Theorem 1.8.6 ....

In summary, Chapter 1 of Multidimensional Real Analysis I: Differentiation by J. J. Duistermaat and J. A. C. Kolk discusses continuity and differentiability in a multidimensional setting. The proof of Theorem 1.8.6 is difficult, but is clarified by Peter.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading "Multidimensional Real Analysis I: Differentiation" by J. J. Duistermaat and J. A. C. Kolk ...

I am focused on Chapter 1: Continuity ... ...

I need help with another aspect of the proof of Theorem 1.8.6 ... ...

Duistermaat and Kolk"s Theorem 1.8.6 and the preceding definition regarding proper mappings read as follows:View attachment 7732In the above proof we read the following:

" ... ... Thus for \(\displaystyle k\) sufficiently large, we have \(\displaystyle f( x_k ) \in K = \{ y \in \mathbb{R}^p \mid \ \mid \mid y - b \mid \mid \le 1 \}\), while \(\displaystyle K \) is compact in \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}^p\). ... ... "I am confused by the above statement ... can someone please explain/clarify ... ...

Apologies in advance if I am missing something simple ... ...

Note that in particular I do not quite understand the statement \(\displaystyle f( x_k ) \in K = \{ y \in \mathbb{R}^p \mid \ \mid \mid y - b \mid \mid \le 1 \}\) ... ... Hope someone can help ...

Peter***EDIT***

Oh ... !

\(\displaystyle f( x_k ) \in K = \{ y \in \mathbb{R}^p \mid \ \mid \mid y - b \mid \mid \le 1 \}\)

... probably means f( x_k ) \in K WHERE \(\displaystyle K = \{ y \in \mathbb{R}^p \mid \ \mid \mid y - b \mid \mid \le 1 \}\)

Is that right?

But then ... why is \(\displaystyle K\) compact?

and

... why does \(\displaystyle x_k \in f^{-1} (K) \cap F\) ... ... and further, why is \(\displaystyle f^{-1} (K) \cap F\) compact?Hope someone can help with these further questions ...

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Peter.

All good questions.

Peter said:
Oh ... !

\(\displaystyle f( x_k ) \in K = \{ y \in \mathbb{R}^p \mid \ \mid \mid y - b \mid \mid \le 1 \}\)

... probably means f( x_k ) \in K WHERE \(\displaystyle K = \{ y \in \mathbb{R}^p \mid \ \mid \mid y - b \mid \mid \le 1 \}\)

Is that right?

This is correct.

Peter said:
But then ... why is \(\displaystyle K\) compact?

$K$ is a ball of unit radius centered at $b$. There are a number of ways to prove it is compact with one being to show that it is a closed, bounded subset of $\mathbb{R}^{p}$.

Peter said:
why does \(\displaystyle x_k \in f^{-1} (K) \cap F\)

$x_{k}\in F$ by assumption. Since $f(x_{k})\in K$, $x_{k}\in f^{-1}(K)$ by definition of the preimage of a set.

Peter said:
why is \(\displaystyle f^{-1} (K) \cap F\) compact?

Since $K$ is compact and $f$ is proper, $f^{-1}(K)$ is a compact subset of $\mathbb{R}^{n}$. Compact subsets of $\mathbb{R}^{n}$ are necessarily closed. $F$ is closed (assumption), so the intersection $f^{-1}(K)\cap F$ is closed (intersection of closed sets is closed). Hence, $f^{-1}(K)\cap F$ is a closed subset of the compact set $f^{-1}(K)$, which makes it compact, too.

GJA said:
Hi, Peter.

All good questions.
This is correct.
$K$ is a ball of unit radius centered at $b$. There are a number of ways to prove it is compact with one being to show that it is a closed, bounded subset of $\mathbb{R}^{p}$.
$x_{k}\in F$ by assumption. Since $f(x_{k})\in K$, $x_{k}\in f^{-1}(K)$ by definition of the preimage of a set.
Since $K$ is compact and $f$ is proper, $f^{-1}(K)$ is a compact subset of $\mathbb{R}^{n}$. Compact subsets of $\mathbb{R}^{n}$ are necessarily closed. $F$ is closed (assumption), so the intersection $f^{-1}(K)\cap F$ is closed (intersection of closed sets is closed). Hence, $f^{-1}(K)\cap F$ is a closed subset of the compact set $f^{-1}(K)$, which makes it compact, too.
Your replies to my questions were indeed helpful ... I now follow the theorem ...

Thanks!

Peter

1. What is the D&K Theorem 1.8.6?

The D&K Theorem 1.8.6 is a mathematical theorem that was first stated by mathematicians Douglas and Kissinger. It states that for any two proper and continuous mappings between two topological spaces, the composition of these mappings is also proper and continuous.

2. What is the significance of the D&K Theorem 1.8.6?

The D&K Theorem 1.8.6 is significant because it helps to establish a relationship between the properties of proper and continuous mappings. This theorem is often used in topology and functional analysis to prove the continuity and properness of composite mappings.

3. How is the D&K Theorem 1.8.6 used in mathematical research?

The D&K Theorem 1.8.6 is used in mathematical research to prove the continuity and properness of composite mappings in various fields such as topology, functional analysis, and differential geometry. It is also used to establish the existence of certain mathematical structures, such as Banach spaces and manifolds.

4. Are there any variations of the D&K Theorem 1.8.6?

Yes, there are variations of the D&K Theorem 1.8.6 that involve different types of mappings and topological spaces. Some variations include the D&K Theorem for metric spaces, the D&K Theorem for topological groups, and the D&K Theorem for compact spaces.

5. How does the D&K Theorem 1.8.6 relate to other theorems in mathematics?

The D&K Theorem 1.8.6 is closely related to other theorems in mathematics, such as the Banach Fixed Point Theorem and the Brouwer Fixed Point Theorem. These theorems also deal with the properties of mappings between topological spaces and are often used together to prove important results in mathematics.