A good intersting physics book

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of finding a good physics book that does not heavily focus on mechanics. The speaker suggests that it is important to have a basic understanding of mechanics in order to fully grasp more advanced concepts in physics. They also recommend a book that takes a different approach to teaching physics using the concept of symmetry.
1832vin
i want to read a good physics book, but i dislike mechanics, any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
1832vin said:
i want to read a good physics book, but i dislike mechanics, any suggestions?

Everything in physics is based on mechanics in one way or another. So you'll have to bite the bullet and learn classical mechanics.

Why wold you want a physics book if you "dislike" mechanics?

Thats like saying I want a good Calculus book but dislike Algebra.

Last edited:
nono...
it's not like i don't want a single forumlar in the whole book, but something about advance physics that is not based on a topic of (moving objects?)
like quantum physics (ie, higs bosons) , there are many maths in it, but it's based around philosophical ideas

The Higgs boson is not a "philosophical idea." It's based on particle interactions, i.e. moving particles within the Higgs field. Likewise for quantum mechanics in general. Yes, there are some philosophical ideas that people can draw out of the more mysterious aspects and such, but quantum mechanics as a whole is not a "philosophical idea." Widely speaking, it is about movement and motion on the quantum level.

1832vin said:
nono...
it's not like i don't want a single forumlar in the whole book, but something about advance physics that is not based on a topic of (moving objects?)
like quantum physics (ie, higs bosons) , there are many maths in it, but it's based around philosophical ideas

You can't learn QM thoroughly if you're ignorant of classical mechanics. Have you tried Leonard Susskind's 2 books, one on classical the second on quantum mechanics. He starts each with a discussion of somewhat abstract systems, and how they differ in the 2 mechanics. That might interest you. It helps to have enough math to understand some variational calculus, which is really at the foundation of both versions of physics. On the other hand, these aren't textbooks, full of exercises the practice of which will provide some facility with performing the sorts of calculations that help in applications of the theory and understanding more advanced texts...

Well, it's an interesting question, whether one can learn physics without ever touching classical mechanics. You'd need to learn classical field theory then and just define quantum theory as quantum field theory. To be honest, I doubt it that this makes any sense, because classical mechanics is still the perfect introduction to physics. Of course, as it is taught in the beginning it's pretty horrible, but as soon as it's formulated with Hamilton's least-action principle, it's just beautiful, and that's the way you need it to understand the more modern branches of physics.

Last edited by a moderator:
smodak said:
How about https://www.amazon.com/dp/3319192000/?tag=pfamazon01-20?

You can see some previews here

It does have some mechanics but from a different point of view...

I took a peek at the previews and noted how short some of the chapters were (four or five pages in come cases). Are those topics really covered adequately in the space of a few pages? The approach seems interesting nevertheless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark Harder said:
I took a peek at the previews and noted how short some of the chapters were (four or five pages in come cases). Are those topics really covered adequately in the space of a few pages? The approach seems interesting nevertheless.
Adequately? I do not think the book is exhaustive if that is what you mean - it is not going to make the reader a master of all the topics covered - it is a fine introduction nonetheless. It uses a different (from normal) approach of doing physics using the concept of symmetry.

1. What makes a physics book interesting?

A good physics book is one that presents complex concepts in an engaging and accessible manner. It should also include real-world examples and applications, as well as interesting historical anecdotes.

2. What level of physics knowledge is required to understand an interesting physics book?

An interesting physics book should be accessible to readers of all levels, from beginners to advanced students. It should be written in a way that is easy to understand, with clear explanations and diagrams.

3. Can an interesting physics book cover a wide range of topics?

Yes, an interesting physics book can cover a wide range of topics, from basic principles like motion and energy, to more advanced concepts like relativity and quantum mechanics. The key is to present the information in a way that is engaging and easy to follow.

4. Are there any specific features that make a physics book more interesting?

Some features that can make a physics book more interesting include interactive elements such as simulations or online resources, colorful illustrations and diagrams, and real-life examples and applications.

5. Can an interesting physics book be enjoyable for readers who are not interested in science?

Absolutely! An interesting physics book can appeal to readers of all interests, as long as it is written in an engaging and accessible way. It can also help to include connections to other subjects, such as art, history, or philosophy.