1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A good intersting physics book

1. Dec 21, 2013 #1
    i want to read a good physics book, but i dislike mechanics, any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2013 #2
    Everything in physics is based on mechanics in one way or another. So you'll have to bite the bullet and learn classical mechanics.

4. Dec 21, 2013 #3
    Why wold you want a physics book if you "dislike" mechanics?

5. Dec 21, 2013 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Thats like saying I want a good Calculus book but dislike Algebra.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  6. Dec 21, 2013 #5
    nono...
    it's not like i don't want a single forumlar in the whole book, but something about advance physics that is not based on a topic of (moving objects?)
    like quantum physics (ie, higs bosons) , there are many maths in it, but it's based around philosophical ideas

7. Dec 24, 2013 #6

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

The Higgs boson is not a "philosophical idea." It's based on particle interactions, i.e. moving particles within the Higgs field. Likewise for quantum mechanics in general. Yes, there are some philosophical ideas that people can draw out of the more mysterious aspects and such, but quantum mechanics as a whole is not a "philosophical idea." Widely speaking, it is about movement and motion on the quantum level.

8. Aug 18, 2016 #7

Mark Harder

Gold Member

You can't learn QM thoroughly if you're ignorant of classical mechanics. Have you tried Leonard Susskind's 2 books, one on classical the second on quantum mechanics. He starts each with a discussion of somewhat abstract systems, and how they differ in the 2 mechanics. That might interest you. It helps to have enough math to understand some variational calculus, which is really at the foundation of both versions of physics. On the other hand, these aren't textbooks, full of exercises the practice of which will provide some facility with performing the sorts of calculations that help in applications of the theory and understanding more advanced texts...

9. Aug 19, 2016 #8

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, it's an interesting question, whether one can learn physics without ever touching classical mechanics. You'd need to learn classical field theory then and just define quantum theory as quantum field theory. To be honest, I doubt it that this makes any sense, because classical mechanics is still the perfect introduction to physics. Of course, as it is taught in the beginning it's pretty horrible, but as soon as it's formulated with Hamilton's least-action principle, it's just beautiful, and that's the way you need it to understand the more modern branches of physics.

10. Aug 19, 2016 #9
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  11. Aug 19, 2016 #10

Mark Harder

Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  12. Aug 21, 2016 #11
    Adequately? I do not think the book is exhaustive if that is what you mean - it is not going to make the reader a master of all the topics covered - it is a fine introduction nonetheless. It uses a different (from normal) approach of doing physics using the concept of symmetry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted