1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Admissions A graduate degree in physics with a bachelor's degree in engineering

1. Mar 4, 2016 #1
    So, next year I will attend college for B.S in aerospace engineering with a minor in Astrophysics. I would very much like to continue and do graduate studies in physics, not engineering, and I was wondering if this was possible? Thank you very much for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2016 #2
  4. Mar 5, 2016 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If you want to do graduate studies in physics, you should probably major in physics.

5. Mar 5, 2016 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

It's definitely easier to go from a physics bachelor's degree to graduate school in engineering, than from an engineering bachelor's to graduate school in physics. Most of the physics majors at the small college where I work end up in engineering, usually by getting a master's in engineering after graduating from here.

6. Mar 5, 2016 #5
    It depends a lot on your course of study and personal preparation. Your minor in Astrophysics will likely help a great deal.
    My bachelor's was in Computer Science and Engineering but my master's was in Applied Physics so it can be done. Granted, it was a Master of Engineering taught by the engineering school but it lined up with my previous study and job experience. I would likely have not been accepted (and/or struggled mightily!) if I'd tried to get a master's in theoretical physics but you'd have much better preparation than I did with your minor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted