• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

A graduate degree in physics with a bachelor's degree in engineering

• Programs
  • Thread starter HTPhys145
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

So, next year I will attend college for B.S in aerospace engineering with a minor in Astrophysics. I would very much like to continue and do graduate studies in physics, not engineering, and I was wondering if this was possible? Thank you very much for your time.

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
If you want to do graduate studies in physics, you should probably major in physics.

jtbell
Mentor
It's definitely easier to go from a physics bachelor's degree to graduate school in engineering, than from an engineering bachelor's to graduate school in physics. Most of the physics majors at the small college where I work end up in engineering, usually by getting a master's in engineering after graduating from here.

It depends a lot on your course of study and personal preparation. Your minor in Astrophysics will likely help a great deal.
My bachelor's was in Computer Science and Engineering but my master's was in Applied Physics so it can be done. Granted, it was a Master of Engineering taught by the engineering school but it lined up with my previous study and job experience. I would likely have not been accepted (and/or struggled mightily!) if I'd tried to get a master's in theoretical physics but you'd have much better preparation than I did with your minor.