Double Major in Computer Engineering and Physics?

In summary, double majoring in computer engineering and physics may be worth it if you are passionate about both fields and willing to put in the time and effort to complete the requirements. It may also be beneficial to consider a major and minor combination, as well as potential overlap in courses between the two majors. Ultimately, it depends on your individual interests and goals.
CharBet
I am currently a senior in high school and next year I will be enrolling into my freshman year of college. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on doing a double major in Computer Engineering and Physics? For example, would it be worth the time and course load to complete a double major in the two fields? I have always had a love of computers and want to work in the computer industry later on in life, leading me to want to major in Computer Engineering, but after taking Physics and Astronomy classes at my school (the astronomy class covering a lot of basic astrophysics material) I absolutely fell in love with physics as well. Would it make sense or be worth the time to do a double major? Would it make more/less sense to do a major in Computer Engineering and a minor in Physics? Any help/advice would be much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
CharBet said:
I am currently a senior in high school and next year I will be enrolling into my freshman year of college. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on doing a double major in Computer Engineering and Physics? For example, would it be worth the time and course load to complete a double major in the two fields? I have always had a love of computers and want to work in the computer industry later on in life, leading me to want to major in Computer Engineering, but after taking Physics and Astronomy classes at my school (the astronomy class covering a lot of basic astrophysics material) I absolutely fell in love with physics as well. Would it make sense or be worth the time to do a double major? Would it make more/less sense to do a major in Computer Engineering and a minor in Physics? Any help/advice would be much appreciated

I did physics and electrical engineering, and in general I would advice people not to do the same thing unless you're in a program that combines the two, like an engineering physics major from UMich: http://eng-physics.engin.umich.edu/. Apart from a program like that I don't think it's generally worth the extra time and money; though the advantages are that you get to be familiar with the profs in both departments and by extension their research. I got a nice slew of research projects under my belt working in both departments. You could a major in CE and a minor in physics or do a major in physics and minor in CS or CE and go to grad school in CE for instance, there also research areas in physics which are completely computational, those options might give you the best of both worlds. It would depend on which you like more, using computers to understand the physics or vice versa.

As a sort of response to Greg Bernhardt, I like Newport but I feel a lot of his article are based off of really big strawmen in his arguments. He's not wrong per se, but I might say he's right for the wrong reasons?

One thing to look at is how much overlap there is in terms of courses. I did a double major in physics and computer science, and was able to use a lot of courses for both. I ended up with 153 credits total and needed 124 for each major, so nearly all of them counted double. I also managed to graduate in 3 1/2 years! Of course, this did mean that I was taking pretty much all math/physics/comp sci classes. If you want a more relaxed college experience with room electives that aren't part of your majors (or just want easy semesters), double majoring in two science field might be more of a challenge. I would imagine that both majors would require some math, physics, and computer science courses. You can always drop/change a major if you find that your tastes change after a few semesters.

I would highly recommend pursuing a double major in Computer Engineering and Physics. These two fields complement each other and having a strong foundation in both will open up a wide range of opportunities for you in the future.

Firstly, a double major in these two fields will provide you with a diverse set of skills and knowledge in both the technical and theoretical aspects of science and technology. This will make you a well-rounded and versatile candidate in the job market, as many industries today require a combination of computer and physics expertise.

Furthermore, the combination of Computer Engineering and Physics will allow you to approach problems and challenges from multiple perspectives, giving you a unique advantage in your future career. The principles and theories you learn in physics can be applied to the design and development of computer systems, and vice versa.

In terms of the time and course load, it may be challenging to complete a double major, but the benefits far outweigh the challenges. It will require dedication and hard work, but the knowledge and skills you gain will be valuable assets in your future career.

In terms of doing a major in Computer Engineering and a minor in Physics, this is also a viable option. However, it may not provide you with the same depth of knowledge and understanding in physics as a double major would. It ultimately depends on your personal interests and career goals.

Overall, I believe a double major in Computer Engineering and Physics is a great choice and will provide you with a solid foundation for your future career. I encourage you to speak with academic advisors and current students in these fields to gain more insight and make an informed decision. Best of luck in your academic journey!

1. What is a double major in Computer Engineering and Physics?

A double major in Computer Engineering and Physics is a program of study where a student simultaneously pursues two undergraduate degrees, one in Computer Engineering and one in Physics. This allows the student to gain knowledge and skills in both fields and make connections between them.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a double major in Computer Engineering and Physics?

Pursuing a double major in Computer Engineering and Physics allows students to develop a diverse skill set and gain a deeper understanding of the intersection between these two fields. It also opens up more career opportunities and can make a student more competitive in the job market.

3. Is it difficult to complete a double major in Computer Engineering and Physics?

Completing a double major in Computer Engineering and Physics can be challenging as it requires a lot of dedication and hard work. The coursework for both majors can be rigorous and demanding, but with proper time management and a strong work ethic, it is possible to successfully complete the double major.

4. Can I still graduate on time with a double major in Computer Engineering and Physics?

This will depend on the specific requirements of the university and the student's ability to meet them. Some universities have structured programs that allow students to complete a double major within four years, while others may require an extra semester or year. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to create a plan that works for the individual student.

5. What career options are available with a double major in Computer Engineering and Physics?

A double major in Computer Engineering and Physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as robotics, aerospace, telecommunications, renewable energy, and more. Graduates with this double major are highly sought after by companies looking for individuals with both technical and analytical skills.