A Kirchhoff's Law Circuit Analysis Problem

In summary, the problem involves determining the magnitude of the current in the horizontal wire between points a and e. The circuit consists of two voltage supplies and multiple resistors. In order to solve the problem, one can use Kirchhoff's circuit laws. It is not necessary to predict the directions of the currents, as they can be determined from the sign of the answer. The question can be simplified by calculating the currents of each supply separately and then summing them together. Additionally, there are resources available, such as YouTube videos, that provide guided examples for learning circuit analysis.
Ownaginatious

Homework Statement

If R=1.29×103 Ω and ε=239 V, determine the magnitude of the current in the horizontal wire between a and e.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/3746/sbpic2823.png

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's circuit laws.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble mostly with getting this thing started. The problem I'm having is that I don't know how to properly figure out what the directions of the current throughout the circuit are.

I checked with a simulation program, and it tells me all the directions go like this:

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4135/sbpic.png

I don't understand how I'm supposed to predict that though...

I'm also having trouble establishing the voltage loops in the circuit. If the current is considered the way it is above, doesn't that mean that I can't use the exterior rectangular part of the circuit as one loop?

If someone could help guide me through this a little, or at least get me started on the right path, it would be very helpful. I'm normally pretty good at physics... but this circuit analysis thing is through me off a bit... maybe I just really suck at electricity :p.

Also, if anyone knows of any good resources (i.e. Youtube videos or other websites) for learning this stuff with guided examples, could you sent the link? The only videos I've been able to find so far are with ridiculously easy examples only containing one battery and a couple resistors.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to predict the directions of the currents. You can determine the direction from the sign of your answer, if its negative the current is flowing to the opposite direction of what your arrow shows. And this question is quite easy, if you calculate the currents of both supplies separately. So change one of the voltage supplies to a short circuit and calculate the current between a and e. The do the same for the other supply and sum the two currents.

Btw: Nice username!

Last edited:

I would suggest the following steps to solve this Kirchhoff's Law circuit analysis problem:

1. First, draw a clear and accurate diagram of the circuit, labeling all the components and their values.

2. Identify the nodes in the circuit, which are the points where current can flow in or out.

3. Apply Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) at each node, which states that the sum of the currents entering a node is equal to the sum of the currents leaving the node. This will help you determine the direction of the current in each branch of the circuit.

4. Apply Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) to each loop in the circuit, which states that the sum of the voltage drops around a closed loop is equal to the sum of the voltage rises. This will help you determine the magnitude and direction of the voltage drops across each component in the circuit.

5. Use Ohm's Law (V = IR) to calculate the voltage drops across the resistors and the current flowing through them.

6. Once you have determined the current in each branch of the circuit, you can use KCL again to calculate the current in the horizontal wire between a and e.

7. Finally, check your answer by using the simulation program provided or by solving the circuit using a different method.

As for resources, there are many online tutorials and videos available for learning Kirchhoff's Laws and circuit analysis. Some good examples can be found on Khan Academy, All About Circuits, and Physics Classroom. It may also be helpful to practice with simpler circuits before tackling more complex ones.

1. What is Kirchhoff's Law?

Kirchhoff's Law, also known as Kirchhoff's Circuit Laws, are a set of rules used to analyze and understand electrical circuits. They were developed by German physicist Gustav Kirchhoff in the mid-19th century and are still widely used in modern circuit analysis.

2. What are the two laws in Kirchhoff's Law?

The two laws in Kirchhoff's Law are the Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL). KCL states that the sum of currents entering a node in a circuit must equal the sum of currents leaving that node. KVL states that the sum of voltage drops around a closed loop in a circuit must equal the sum of voltage sources in that loop.

3. How do you apply Kirchhoff's Law in circuit analysis?

To apply Kirchhoff's Law in circuit analysis, you first need to identify all the nodes and closed loops in the circuit. Then, for each node, you can use KCL to write an equation equating the sum of currents entering and leaving that node. Similarly, for each closed loop, you can use KVL to write an equation equating the sum of voltage drops to the sum of voltage sources. You can then solve these equations simultaneously to find the values of currents and voltages in the circuit.

4. What are some common problems involving Kirchhoff's Law?

Some common problems involving Kirchhoff's Law include finding the current and voltage in a specific branch of a circuit, determining the equivalent resistance of a complex circuit, and analyzing circuits with multiple sources and/or dependent sources.

5. How important is Kirchhoff's Law in circuit analysis?

Kirchhoff's Law is essential in circuit analysis as it provides a systematic and reliable method for solving complex circuits. It is also the basis for many other electrical laws and principles, making it a fundamental concept in electrical engineering and science.