Kirchhoff's and Ohm's law circuit diagram issue.

In summary, the circuit diagram provided shows a 4 ohm resistor in parallel with an 8 ohm resistor, with a 12 volt battery and an 8 volt battery in series. The equivalent resistance of the parallel combination is 2.7 ohms. The circuit can be redrawn with this equivalent resistance replacing the two parallel resistors. The voltage at point X can be found by using Kirchoff's Current Law and finding the potential difference between the reference node and the point of interest.
Benthal

Homework Statement

The question requires viewing the circuit diagram to start. An image is attached, it can also be viewed here (http://imgur.com/6Q0DCQ9).

PT8Q3.jpg

The questions are:

a) Calculate the equivalent resistance ##R_T## of the 4 ##\parallel## 8 ohm combination.

b) Redraw the circuit with ##R_T## replacing the two parallel resistors.

c) What is the voltage at point X ?

Homework Equations

Ohm's law ## V = I R ## , Resistance in parallel ## 1/R_T = 1/R_1 + 1/R_2 ## ,

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
## 1/R_T = 1/4 + 1/8 ##
## R_T = 2.7 ## Ohm[/B]

b) I just re drew the circuit diagram the same, but instead of the two parallel resistors there is just one with a resistance of 2.7 Ohms.

c) This is where I am stuck. I can't work out how this circuit operates.

I take it the two batteries can't be in parallel because they are different voltages?

So will the current flow back through the 8 v battery and the voltage will drop to 4v at point Y ? And then the voltage stay at 12v at point X ? However now if I calculate the current at the resistors it's different.

I will be extremely grateful if someone can point me in the right direction on this.

Thanks in Advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Benthal, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Presumably they're looking for the potential at node X with respect to the reference node represented by the ground symbol. See if you can't find a path from the ground point to the X node where you can sum up known potential changes along the way (a "KVL Walk") ;)

Hi gneill,

Thanks for the reply. I've attached a circuit diagram I've drawn with arrows showing the path of the current. Is this the correct path of the current? If so, then I would say there is a potential of 12v between the ground and node X.

Attachments

• 20150107_131323.jpg
    20150107_131323.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 443
Benthal said:
Hi gneill,

Thanks for the reply. I've attached a circuit diagram I've drawn with arrows showing the path of the current. Is this the correct path of the current? If so, then I would say there is a potential of 12v between the ground and node X.
Your current labels are fine. But really you only need to find one path from the reference node to the point of interest for which you want to know the relative potential along which you can sum known potential changes. What path did you follow?

It'll be easier with diagrams, I've attached an image which shows the path I've chosen.

Attachments

• 20150107_154135.jpg
    20150107_154135.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 438
Yup, that's great. Well done.

Excellent, thanks for the help, I've figured it out now. I wasn't thinking about Kirchoff's Current law.

What is Kirchhoff's law?

Kirchhoff's law refers to the two laws of circuit analysis developed by German physicist Gustav Kirchhoff in the 19th century. These laws, known as Kirchhoff's current law and Kirchhoff's voltage law, are used to determine the current and voltage in a circuit.

What is Ohm's law?

Ohm's law is a fundamental law of physics that relates the voltage, current, and resistance in an electrical circuit. It states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage across it and inversely proportional to its resistance.

How are Kirchhoff's and Ohm's laws related?

Kirchhoff's laws are based on the principles of Ohm's law. Kirchhoff's voltage law is derived from Ohm's law, while Kirchhoff's current law is based on the conservation of charge and energy, which are also fundamental principles in Ohm's law.

What is the purpose of a circuit diagram?

A circuit diagram is a graphical representation of an electrical circuit. It is used to show the connections and components in a circuit, as well as the flow of current and voltage. Circuit diagrams are important for understanding and analyzing circuits, and are also useful in designing new circuits.

What are some common issues with circuit diagrams and how can they be resolved?

Some common issues with circuit diagrams include missing or incorrect connections, missing components, and incorrect labeling. These issues can be resolved by carefully checking the diagram for accuracy and ensuring that all components and connections are included. Using standardized symbols and labeling conventions can also help to prevent errors in circuit diagrams.