1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A layman's question about Thermodynamics (End of the universe)

1. Jun 22, 2014 #1
    I am little experience of physics so please be patience with me, This is my first post of this great internet forum.

I have a friend who said that energy will never remove from the universe only transform (e.g. cogs loses energy from friction that´s turn into radiation).

But if that true how come the universe will end? What´s the name of the theory about the end of the universe?

if energy is constant universe wouldn't universe live forever?

thanks for your time best regards Conny. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2014 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is simply the first law of thermodynamics: energy may be transformed, but the total amount doesn't change.

The universe is expanding - so the energy is thinning out in each region: the density is decreasing. So if you wait long enough there won't be anything left but a thin "gas" of ever weaker photons - the cosmic background radiation plus any additions from stars, etc - and at some point you might say that "this is no longer interesting - nothing going on here!

At that point you might say "the universe has come to an end".

There are various cosmic theories; you might enjoy Stephan Hawking's "A Brief History of Time".

PS: Welcome to PF!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook