Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A layman's question about Thermodynamics (End of the universe)

1. Jun 22, 2014 #1
    I am little experience of physics so please be patience with me, This is my first post of this great internet forum.

I have a friend who said that energy will never remove from the universe only transform (e.g. cogs loses energy from friction that´s turn into radiation).

But if that true how come the universe will end? What´s the name of the theory about the end of the universe?

if energy is constant universe wouldn't universe live forever?

thanks for your time best regards Conny. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2014 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is simply the first law of thermodynamics: energy may be transformed, but the total amount doesn't change.

The universe is expanding - so the energy is thinning out in each region: the density is decreasing. So if you wait long enough there won't be anything left but a thin "gas" of ever weaker photons - the cosmic background radiation plus any additions from stars, etc - and at some point you might say that "this is no longer interesting - nothing going on here!

At that point you might say "the universe has come to an end".

There are various cosmic theories; you might enjoy Stephan Hawking's "A Brief History of Time".

PS: Welcome to PF!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook