Efficiently Refract Light with a System of Lenses - Exploring Photons

In summary, if you could set up a system of lenses so that once a steady light stream enters the system, it will be refracted within the same system permanently, then you would be able to capture an image without having to pass the light through an infinite number of lenses. This is called total internal reflection and is the principle behind Fiber Optic technology.
whozum
If you could set up a system of lenses so that once a steady light stream enters the system, it will be refracted within the same system permanently, what will happen to the photons?

Would it take an infinite number of lenses to get the exact refraction?

Science news on Phys.org
Are you sure the refracted light retains its photon composition? In other words, is it the same photon coming out of the lens that went into the lens?

I'm asking, in all honesty, I don't know anything about optics.

OlderDan said:
Are you sure the refracted light retains its photon composition? In other words, is it the same photon coming out of the lens that went into the lens?

I think the answer to this question is no. Light is bent in a lens by a complex interaction of photons with the atoms in the medium. The emerging light is the result of energy absorption and emission by those atoms.

But that light contains the same properties as the incident photon that hit the lens right? The same color is what I mean.

What I'm getting at is that you could preserve an image through a system of lenses for an infinite amount of time by having the image go through a seemingly infinite number of lenses, then can be captured when needed.

OlderDan said:

Wait a minute. Isn't refraction the separation of the different wavelengths of the photons in light into similar groups: ROYGBV? Wouldn't that mean that the photon that passed through the lens would be the same as before it went in; the only difference would be that it would be grouped with other photons of the same or similar wavelengths?

whozum said:
But that light contains the same properties as the incident photon that hit the lens right? The same color is what I mean.

What I'm getting at is that you could preserve an image through a system of lenses for an infinite amount of time by having the image go through a seemingly infinite number of lenses, then can be captured when needed.

I would agree with your reasoning that even if you passed a photon through an infinite number of lenses it with still retain the same colour and such. If this were not true then the question: Can a photon be refracted into other segements?: would be raised. Since this is not the case, you're right; the image would be trapted.

This is called total internal reflection, and is the physical principle behind Fiber Optic technology.

Ok, now I'm confused. Crosson could you help connect the dots a little? Please? :redface:

1. What is a lens system?

A lens system is a combination of multiple lenses that work together to form an image. It is commonly used in cameras, microscopes, telescopes, and other optical devices.

2. How does a lens system work?

A lens system works by refracting or bending light rays as they pass through the lenses. This bending of light helps to focus the rays and create a clear image. The shape and curvature of the lenses determine the properties of the resulting image.

3. What are the components of a lens system?

The main components of a lens system include the lenses themselves, the aperture or opening that controls the amount of light entering the system, and the distance between the lenses. Some systems may also include additional elements such as filters or mirrors.

4. What are the types of lens systems?

There are two main types of lens systems: converging and diverging. Converging lenses bring parallel light rays together to form a focus point, while diverging lenses spread out parallel light rays.

5. What are some applications of lens systems?

Lens systems have a wide range of applications in science, technology, and everyday life. They are used in cameras and other imaging devices, telescopes for astronomical observations, microscopes for magnifying small objects, and even corrective lenses for vision correction.