Concentric Meniscus Lenses Design

In summary, the lens designer is not sure what the resulting lens will look like, but it is likely to be aberrated and off-axis.
Ozen
Hello Everyone,

I have been working on a lens design that requires a concentric meniscus lens. Initially I was under the impression that r1 should equal r2 for the light to exit at infinity when entering at infinity.
Concentric Meniscus 3.jpg

However my ray diagram shows different, it shows the light is being bent quite a bit. Notice how when the image distance is selected at infinity, the light rays are coming towards the lenses diverging; after passing through they are converging. This is not how it should be, they could come parallel from infinity and exit parallel to infinity.
Concentric Meniscus 2.png

After messing with the lens data I was able to get them very close to how I want them.
Concentric Meniscus 1.png

My question is on whether the surfaces should have the same radius or like the third image shows, the surfaces should not have the same radius.

Any insight on what should be done here is much appreciated!

Science news on Phys.org
"Concentric" doesn't mean "same radius". It means the same center of curvature, which would mean that the radius of curvature of the first surface minus the thickness of the lens is equal to the radius of curvature of the second surface.

I don't know off the top of my head if the resulting lens has the properties you want, but it matches the name rather better than what you describe.

Thank you for the reply!

Perhaps concentric meniscus lens is not the correct name for what I am talking about. I am unsure what its' name would be but I can't find any data on it to solve what I need. I just need the light to pass through this system while staying at infinity, the slight magnification is fine but it has to stay at infinity.

I read on Quora that when a convex and concave meniscus lens is combined, it becomes in arthimic sum of their powers. What my lenses were opposites of each other and clearly the light was being bent. I desperately need help understanding what is the actual truth and how to get the object and image at infinity.

You require the object and image distances, ##u## and ##v## to be ##\infty##. That makes ##1/f=0##. The lensmakers equation tells you that $$\frac 1f=(n-1)\left(\frac 1{r_1}-\frac 1{r_2}+\frac{(n-1)d}{nr_1r_2}\right)$$Solve for ##r_2## in terms of ##r_1## and ##d## and muck around with those parameters to see what's possible.

It's been a long time since I did any optical design, but my intuition is that the result is likely to be heavily aberrated and off-axis behaviour will be very different.

1. What is a concentric meniscus lens?

A concentric meniscus lens is a type of lens that has a curved surface on both sides, with the center of curvature on one side coinciding with the center of curvature on the other side. This design allows for a more compact and efficient lens, as it reduces the amount of material needed compared to other lens designs.

2. How does the design of concentric meniscus lenses differ from other lens designs?

Unlike other lens designs, such as plano-convex or bi-convex lenses, concentric meniscus lenses have a symmetrical curvature on both sides. This creates a more balanced and uniform distribution of light, resulting in better optical performance.

3. What are the advantages of using concentric meniscus lenses?

Concentric meniscus lenses offer several advantages, including a more compact and lightweight design, improved optical performance, and reduced spherical aberration. They are also easier to manufacture and can be used in a wide range of applications, such as imaging, laser systems, and optical instruments.

4. What factors should be considered when designing concentric meniscus lenses?

When designing concentric meniscus lenses, factors such as the refractive index of the material, the thickness of the lens, and the desired focal length should be taken into account. The curvature of the lens surfaces also plays a crucial role in determining the lens's performance.

5. How are concentric meniscus lenses manufactured?

Concentric meniscus lenses are typically manufactured using precision glass molding or diamond turning techniques. The lens material is heated and then pressed into a mold or cut using a diamond tool to achieve the desired curvature. The lenses are then polished to improve their surface quality and optical performance.