A limit of an integral question

In summary, the conversation is about finding the derivative of an integral and solving the limit of an integral. One solution is to take the derivative of the integral, which results in ln(1+x^2), and another solution is to solve the integral and then the limit. The conversation also mentions the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and correcting a mistake in a solution.
transgalactic
http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=29117598dh7.png

i know that the integral of 0 to 0 interval equals to 0.

i get 0/0 form

how do i make the derivative of this integral

i know the it should cancel out the integral sign
but there is another variable "t"

what should i do in this
case??

another way that i thought of is
to solve this integral and then solve the limit

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
transgalactic said:
http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=29117598dh7.png

i know that the integral of 0 to 0 interval equals to 0.

i get 0/0 form

how do i make the derivative of this integral

i know the it should cancel out the integral sign
but there is another variable "t"

what should i do in this
case??

another way that i thought of is
to solve this integral and then solve the limit
Yeah just take the derivative of the integral, and the result will be the exact function under the integral sign, but now instead of the variable t, the result should contain the variable x. this is a well known theorem, and it can be proven, but it requres a little work.

So when u take the derivative of the integral on the denominator the result will be
[tex]ln(1+x^{2})[/tex]

By the way, you cannot actually solve the integral, because it does not have an elementary function, you just can express in terms of some gamma function, or just find an approximation for it. But there is no close form of it.

Last edited:
sutupidmath said:
By the way, you cannot actually solve the integral, because it does not have an elementary function, you just can express in terms of some gamma function, or just find an approximation for it. But there is no close form of it.

Actually this is not true. Integrating by parts you can calulate the integral

[tex]\int \ln(1+x^2)\,d\,x=x\,\ln(1+x^2)-2\int \frac{x^2}{1+x^2}\,d\,x=x\,\ln(1+x^2)-2\int \frac{1+x^2}{1+x^2}\,d\,x+2\,\int\frac{d\,x}{1+x^2}=x\,\ln(1+x^2)-2\,x+2\,\arctan x[/tex]

But for the OP, you don't have to do this! :smile:

Rainbow Child said:
Actually this is not true. Integrating by parts you can calulate the integral

[tex]\int \ln(1+x^2)\,d\,x=x\,\ln(1+x^2)-2\int \frac{x^2}{1+x^2}\,d\,x=x\,\ln(1+x^2)-2\int \frac{1+x^2}{1+x^2}\,d\,x+2\,\int\frac{d\,x}{1+x^2}=x\,\ln(1+x^2)-2\,x+2\,\arctan x[/tex]

But for the OP, you don't have to do this! :smile:
Pardone me! I was thinking of completely something else! Yeah, you are so right, it actually is just an easy thing to do, but i had something else in my mind, i mean another function, when i said that. My bad lol, i appologize for not paying so much attention to things!
Thnx for pointing this out by the way.

... i appologize for not paying so much attention to things!

Do not! That's what makes us humans! :smile:

sutupidmath said:
Yeah just take the derivative of the integral, and the result will be the exact function under the integral sign, but now instead of the variable t, the result should contain the variable x. this is a well known theorem, and it can be proven, but it requires a little work.

I believe that's a little something called the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus =]

Gib Z said:
I believe that's a little something called the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus =]
Well maybe it is, but i am not used with English notation or naming of theorems. But i know how we call it in my native language, and we did not call it The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, i mean even if we translated this into my language.

O sorry my bad! I didn't know english was not your first language. Your english is very good =]

Gib Z said:
O sorry my bad! I didn't know english was not your first language. Your english is very good =]
Well no need to appologize, and thnx for commenting on my English!

That indeed is correct.

thanks

Do you think they'll ever develop a drug that cures my stupidity? I was specifically checking that for errors and I didn't see that. Sigh

damn chain rule

1. What is a limit of an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve. A limit of an integral is a way to find the area under a curve when the boundaries of the integral are approaching infinity or some other constant value.

2. How is a limit of an integral calculated?

The limit of an integral is calculated by taking the integral of the function and then evaluating the result as the boundaries of the integral approach the specified value. This involves finding the antiderivative of the function and plugging in the boundaries of the integral.

3. What is the significance of a limit of an integral?

The limit of an integral is important because it allows us to find the area under a curve even when the boundaries of the integral extend to infinity or some other constant value. This is useful in many real-life applications, such as finding the total distance traveled by an object with changing velocity.

4. Can a limit of an integral be negative?

Yes, a limit of an integral can be negative. This may occur if the function being integrated has areas above and below the x-axis, resulting in some areas canceling each other out. It is important to pay attention to the signs when calculating the limit of an integral.

5. Are there any limitations to using a limit of an integral?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a limit of an integral. It may not work for all functions, especially if the function is not continuous or has discontinuities at the boundaries of the integral. Additionally, the limit of an integral may not exist if the function is not well-behaved at infinity or the specified value.