1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A linear differential equation problem

1. Oct 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A uniform 10-foot-long heavy rope is coiled loosely on the ground. One end of the rope is pulled vertically upward by means of a constant force of 5lb. The rope weighs 1lb/ft. Use newton's second law to determine a differential equation for the height x(t) of the end above ground level at time t. Assume that a positive direction is upward.
    2. Relevant equations
    The answer says it's [itex] x \frac{d^{2}x}{dt^2} + \left ( \frac{dx}{dt} \right )^{2}+32x=160 [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since newton's second law is F=ma, I tried this:
    a(Acceleration) is position x differentiated twice, so [itex]a=\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^2}[/itex]
    m=x, and force is 5-x. so, the equation becomes
    [itex]5-x=x \frac{d^{2}x}{dt^2}[/itex]
    is anything wrong?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you cannot use F = ma, which is only true when the mass in question is constant. You need to use the second law on the more general form F = dp/dt, where p is the momentum.

4. Oct 18, 2015 #3
    may I ask you how to apply it?

5. Oct 18, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try expressing the momentum of the rope in terms of x and its derivatives.

6. Oct 18, 2015 #5
    you mean this equation? this is from Wikipedia, and it's based on momentum equation p=mv, thus F=dp/dt.
    [itex] F=m(t)\frac{dv}{dt} - u\frac{dm}{dt} [/itex]
    When I put this I that question, I found something like this.
    [itex] 5-x= x\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}} - \left ( \frac{dx}{dt} \right )^2 [/itex]
    Looks similar to the 'answer' in my book, but still not getting it. I suspect that the left side of the equation have been multiplied by 32(Gravitational acceleration in English unit, I think) but hard to find where to put it.

Type your equation in this box

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted