1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Mysterious Calculus Operation

1. Aug 9, 2006 #1
    I was doing a physics problem which leads me to this equation:
    [tex]
    V = \frac{\sigma}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\int_{0}^{R}\int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{r}{\sqrt{R^2 + r^2 - 2Rr\cos{\theta}}} \,d\theta \,dr
    [/tex]
    Stumped by the math, I turned to the solution. However, without a word of explanation, the solution jumps from the above equation to the following:
    [tex]
    V = \frac{\sigma}{4\pi \epsilon_0}R\int_{0}^{2\pi} \cos{\theta} \ln{\left ( 1 + \frac{\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{1-\cos{\alpha}} \right ) }\,dA +8R - 2\pi R
    [/tex]
    I had no idea how that happened. I would appreciate it if someone could explain what I should to do arrive at this latter equation. I don't need a full explanation, just a push in the right direction.

EDIT: I understand that it's an integral, I just don't understand how the integral was done. Specifically, this one:
    [tex]
    \int_{0}^{R} \frac{r}{\sqrt{R^2 + r^2 - 2Rr\cos{\theta}}} \,dr
    [/tex]
    Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2006 #2
    To find the solution you first have to perform the integration with respect [tex]r[/tex].

By the way, you have to observe that:

[tex]\frac{r}{\sqrt{r^2 +R^2 - 2 R r \cos \theta}} = \frac{r - R \cos \theta}{\sqrt{(r-R \cos \theta)^2 + R^2 \sin^2 \theta}} + \frac{R \cos \theta}{\sqrt{(r-R \cos \theta)^2 + R^2 \sin^2 \theta}}}[/tex].

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?