A new technique for imaging underground geothermal features

In summary, the conversation discusses a recently published article on a major advance in geophysics, which may be of interest to those studying geothermal energy. However, the article is now behind a paywall and can only be accessed by those with a Nature subscription. The speaker suggests finding alternative sources, possibly through pre-prints, by searching the article title. They later find the article on a sister site.
Oldman too
Last night, (3/23) I read this article, alas, today it has disappeared behind the inevitable paywall. (this means it's a good piece) If you have access to Nature articles, this is a fascinating read. A huge advance in Geophysics that will see a lot of attention in future geothermal studies.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-04379-1#article-info

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I found alternative sources (possibly pre-prints) by googling the article name.

• Informative
Likes Oldman too
BillTre said:
I found alternative sources (possibly pre-prints) by googling the article name.
That would likely explain why I was able to read it last night, but only an abstract when I searched it to post. Thanks, I'll follow your advice and search by title.

Update: And there it is, on, of all places, right next door on a sister site. Thanks Bill.

Likes BillTre

1. What is the purpose of this new imaging technique?

The purpose of this new technique is to accurately and efficiently map underground geothermal features, such as hot springs and geysers, in order to better understand and utilize geothermal energy resources.

2. How does this technique differ from existing methods of imaging underground geothermal features?

This technique utilizes a combination of seismic and electromagnetic imaging, which allows for a more comprehensive and detailed view of the subsurface compared to traditional methods such as drilling or remote sensing.

3. What are the potential benefits of using this new imaging technique?

By providing more accurate and detailed information about underground geothermal features, this technique can help identify new geothermal resources, optimize existing geothermal systems, and reduce the cost and environmental impact of exploration and development.

4. Are there any limitations or challenges associated with this technique?

One potential limitation is that this technique may not be suitable for all types of geothermal features or geological conditions. Additionally, it may require specialized equipment and expertise, which could add to the cost and complexity of implementation.

5. What are the next steps for further development and implementation of this technique?

Further research and testing will be needed to refine and optimize this technique for different geothermal settings. Additionally, collaboration between scientists, engineers, and industry professionals will be important for successfully implementing this technique in real-world applications.