A.P. Physics B exam for regular physics student

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty level of the AP Physics exam B and the preparation needed to pass it. It is suggested that self-study and using resources such as review books and videos can help in preparing for the exam. The exam covers more in-depth content and expects better problem solving skills and knowledge of important equations.
blondie :)
I am planning to take the A.P. Physics exam B at the end of the school year. My question is, will this be ridiculously difficult for me? In my regular physics class, we have quite a slow pace on moving forward (We're only on centripital force!). How much will I need to know in order to pass the exam?

Thanks,

Mitch Guzman

Physics news on Phys.org
blondie :) said:
I am planning to take the A.P. Physics exam B at the end of the school year. My question is, will this be ridiculously difficult for me? In my regular physics class, we have quite a slow pace on moving forward (We're only on centripital force!). How much will I need to know in order to pass the exam?

A regular physics class will not, on its own, prepare you for the ap physics b exam. If you want to do it, you will have to self study. My advice would be to get a princeton review book or 5 steps to a 5. Also, http://www.archive.org/details/ap_physics_b" has a lot of good videos that covers all of the material.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I figured. Thanks for the reply, and I'll make sure and go get the princeton review book.

The biggest thing would to do plenty of practice tests.
The AP Test doesn't cover that much more content than the a regular level physics class, just a little bit more in depth, expects better problem solving skills and either to derive important equations, or to have them memorized.

I would advise you to not underestimate the difficulty of the A.P. Physics B exam. While it is possible to pass the exam with only a basic understanding of physics, it is highly recommended that you have a strong foundation in the subject in order to be successful. The exam covers a wide range of topics and requires a deep understanding of physics principles and their applications. It is important to not only have a good grasp on the topics covered in your regular physics class, but also to review and practice additional material that may be included on the exam. I suggest seeking out additional resources such as study guides, practice tests, and review sessions to supplement your learning and ensure a strong understanding of the material. With dedication and hard work, you can definitely pass the A.P. Physics B exam, but it will require a significant amount of effort and preparation. Good luck on your exam!

1. What topics are covered on the A.P. Physics B exam for regular physics students?

The A.P. Physics B exam covers a wide range of topics including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, and thermodynamics. It also includes some basic mathematical concepts such as algebra and trigonometry.

2. How many questions are on the A.P. Physics B exam?

The A.P. Physics B exam typically consists of 70 multiple-choice questions and 6 free-response questions.

3. What is the format of the A.P. Physics B exam?

The exam is divided into two sections: a multiple-choice section and a free-response section. The multiple-choice section consists of 70 questions and is 1 hour and 30 minutes long. The free-response section consists of 6 questions and is 1 hour and 30 minutes long. Students are allowed to use a calculator for both sections of the exam.

4. How is the A.P. Physics B exam scored?

The multiple-choice section of the exam is scored on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the highest score. The free-response section is also scored on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the highest score. The scores from both sections are then combined to give a final score out of 5.

5. What is the best way to prepare for the A.P. Physics B exam?

The best way to prepare for the A.P. Physics B exam is to review class notes, practice problems, and past exams. It is also helpful to use study guides and review books designed specifically for the A.P. Physics B exam. Additionally, students should make sure they have a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts and equations covered on the exam.