What Are the Weaknesses of a Physicist?

• Physics
  • Thread starter charbon
  • Start date
In summary, a physicist is considered to be good at virtually everything due to their excellent problem solving skills, ability to work well under pressure, strong communication skills, and open-mindedness. However, some believe that physicists may struggle with communication and teamwork, and may not be as effective in those areas as other majors such as engineering. It is important for a physicist to provide specific, tangible proof of their skills in order to stand out in a job search.
Physics Monkey said:
I think its important to remember that there is a substantial distinction between the ability to solve problems which are presented to you in a relatively neat package and guaranteed to have a nice answer (much of undergrad) and the ability to solve real research (or real world) problems. The latter are often poorly formed (you must help formulate them)

I agree with that. Alot of the "textbook problem solving skills" one learns are actually not at all like the "creative problem solving" you may face elsewhere.

I'd characterize a lot of "textbook problem solving" in a sort of pattern recogniton way; you first detect "what type of problem" it is, and then try to apply one of the standard techinques you've learned. I actually payed some attention to my own methodology when I was into this myself. You pretty much learn a "technique" to solve problems beloning to a certain standard set FAST. But when facing a non-compliant or "fuzzy" problem, you are easily stumped.

For some open problems, there are not standard classification and maybe not standard techniques to apply either. I actually notice a few times that the mindset that is well suited for managing diffucult textbook or exam problems are even stronlgy UNsuitable for situations where a more creative thinking is needed that is not like the pattern matching type problem solving you know from coursework.

/Fredrik

Physics news on Phys.org
The acronym STEM originated from a physicist...maybe your answer on why physics majors trip over their own language? Science, technology, engineering, and math. He forgot "Communications" and "Art" and mentioned engineer which he is not; rather than physicist. Physics is Art, Communications (verbal/written), Math, and Observation coming together to explain the physical world...seeing a problem and being part of the solution. Those four cognitive tasks (Not the STEM formula) are invaluable to most businesses, never just "Fill a position"; you are not simply a "Quantity" - "Think different" ...Steve Jobs

charbon said:
It seems a physicist is good at virtually everything. They are excellent problem solvers, the are team players, they are taught to communicate well, they work well under pressure, they are comfortable with complex tasks, they have an open mind, and the list goes on.
I am a physicist myself. The points "comfortable with complex tasks" and "have an open mind" put aside (they certainly don't apply to me, and they actually sound like hollow phrases to me) I would tend to agree with these statements. But then, I happen to have worked as an ambulance driver for a few years. I would say that a physicist looks rather pale compared to a paramedic in terms of problem solving, teamplay, communication skills, and ability to work well and reliably under pressure. So if your points actually were the important distinctive features you should hire an ambulance driver over a physicist any day. What physicists are exceptionally good at is physics, and depending on the specialization either math, computer skills, or engineering.

What CAN'T a physicist do effectively?
Making a point that matters for anyone except fellow physicists. I happen to have drifted towards biophysics during the last years. I can tell you, the biologists and the medical scientists are not exactly putting their hope on physicists that, thanks to their great problem solving skills and comfort with complex tasks, will revolutionize medical research and finally find a combined cure for lung cancer, HIV, and knock-knees.
EDIT: And they sometimes fail to realize it when a thread has a 2nd and even a third page... . Sorry if some comments are redundant.

Last edited:
Timo said:
Making a point that matters for anyone except fellow physicists.

but...

Ernest Rutherford said:
If you can't explain your physics to a barmaid it is probably not very good physics.

Timo said:
I can tell you, the biologists and the medical scientists are not exactly putting their hope on physicists that, thanks to their great problem solving skills and comfort with complex tasks, will revolutionize medical research and finally find a combined cure for lung cancer, HIV, and knock-knees.

I find the opposite locally. The biologists are very willing to make use of models that work. If the model covers a sufficient range of conditions, the experimentalist saves time and energy by simulating experiments rather than burning through chemicals, animals, and man-hours.

Of course, experimental verification is still necessary, but given a working model, the experimentalist now knows better the regime in which the behavior emerges and doesn't have to find it.

If you're just finishing up a BS, forget employers, and go find a graduate school. Jobs for BS level physicists are likely a bit slim in some areas.

Unless you're into calculating the rotation motion of a hamburger landing into a fry pan, you'll need to look into physics job needs in the near future. I would suggest giving the physicist recruiters a call (e.g. astro, medical, health, nuclear). Check out the various Society journels for the different organizations to see who is looking. Look for something you can actually get a job doing.

I liked forestry, but it didn't pay, so now I treat cancer patients. I make money and have time to go to the woods. All good.

Timo, I wonder if you gave any thought as to the origin of much of the wonderful gear in the ambulance. The research that physicists and others put into devoloping the theory that lead to the application that lead to the instrument that did save a life. Some of those PhD projects really do amount to something. True, not all physicists can walk and chew gum at the same time, but it takes all kinds.

ThinkToday said:
Timo, I wonder if you gave any thought as to the origin of much of the wonderful gear in the ambulance. The research that physicists and others put into devoloping the theory that lead to the application that lead to the instrument that did save a life. Some of those PhD projects really do amount to something. True, not all physicists can walk and chew gum at the same time, but it takes all kinds.
As a matter of fact I did not. But I do not see why or how that matters for what I said. Are you a physicist by chance? :biggrin:

"I liked forestry, but it didn't pay, so now I treat cancer patients. I make money and have time to go to the woods. All good."

Would be a good guess. Yes, for more over 30 years.

As for what you said, "I can tell you, the biologists and the medical scientists are not exactly putting their hope on physicists that, thanks to their great problem solving skills and comfort with complex tasks, will revolutionize medical research and finally find a combined cure for lung cancer, HIV, and knock-knees."

Seems like you were knocking the work of physicists to me, and specifically for those that may have contributed to the equipment you've used. Yes, they have developed technology that has revolutionized medicine.

Timo said:
I can tell you, the biologists and the medical scientists are not exactly putting their hope on physicists that, thanks to their great problem solving skills and comfort with complex tasks, will revolutionize medical research and finally find a combined cure for lung cancer, HIV, and knock-knees.
I read an article somewhere that said some biological labs hire physicists with no experience in the field specifically because of the way physicists think.

charbon said:
I've been giving a lot of thought about how I would market myself to employers once I have finished my B. Sc in physics and I got stuck when I was thinking about weaknesses.

It seems a physicist is good at virtually everything. They are excellent problem solvers, the are team players (I'm sure we all ended up helping each other out on assignments), they are taught to communicate well, they work well under pressure, they are comfortable with complex tasks, they have an open mind, and the list goes on.

What CAN'T a physicist do effectively if anything?

You need to think of a weakness that will actually look like a strength to employers. You might say you have a tendency to hubris - that is, perhaps you over-estimate your abilities and your strengths! Employers will like that because it shows you are very positive and optimistic, but also have enough insight to realize this might be a problem at times. (Given this posting, it might also be true!)

So here's what I'm seeing:

Weaknesses

Communication
Teamwork
Real-world problem solving
Efficiency

Feel free to add to that, but as a Physics undergrad, I'd like to know how to improve on these. How does one get experience in practical problem solving or teamwork without getting an engineering degree?

Opus_723 said:
So here's what I'm seeing:

Weaknesses

Communication
Teamwork
Real-world problem solving
Efficiency

Feel free to add to that, but as a Physics undergrad, I'd like to know how to improve on these. How does one get experience in practical problem solving or teamwork without getting an engineering degree?

It's B.S. You have to be able to do a lot of things that aren't science related to hold a good position as a scientist in any field:

You have to be able to COMMUNICATE and WORK WITH administrative staff of all kinds in both teaching and research relationships. By administrative, I mean non-science people. You have financial officers, institute directors, provosts, deans, admin assistants, safety officers, ethics committees, and of course, students. For more evidence of teamwork, look at the lists of co-authors on many papers.

If the above provide enough proof of real-world problem solving, Physicists actually drive, date, and manage families. Experimental physicists are well known for fixing their own equipment and making their own custom modifications (many of us know where the condenser and contact points are in a Ford '67). Most of my fellow Alaskan physicists can drop a moose in a single shot (hint: head shots are for video games).

Efficiency... well, ok... science isn't about efficiency, it's true, but you're not going to hold a position where you're spending the university and government money if you're inefficient...

but also have enough insight to realize this might be a problem at times

Kind of funny, since you gave it to him hahaha

I somewhat agree with you, but I also know those that fit the mold of the true "lab rat". Close the lab door with them inside, send in food, coffee (soda for me), and leave them alone! Some hard core researchers can be reclusive and not skilled at communication that isn't "on point" with their research. I know some physicists that couldn't change a diaper. Unless the object of the research is efficiency, e.g. solar cells, it's not important to them.

Having said that, you will notice I used the word "some". Most physicists are normal people with a knack for physics. We like what we do as much as any doctor, lawyer, or hooker.

Opus_723 said:

1. Summer jobs. You don't have to exclusively confine yourself to lab positions. While those may have advantages for graduate school applications, broadening your horizons has its own advantages. I know one previous student who spent a summer in a machine shop in a hospital and learned enough about the field that he was later able to start his own company and now seems to be doing quite well for himself. Or what about sales? People tend to look down on retail sales, but having a summer's worth of experience in this can help you to develop a lot of people skills that can't be learned in school.

2. Volunteer work. University campuses are saturated with volunteer opportunities. Sometimes these come with very specific training. Say you volunteer with your school's student distress centre. You will get quantifyable training in crisis intervention, experience dealing with people in extrement stressful situations, and develop crucial communication skills. If that's not your thing, what about an executive position with a school club that will demonstrate leadership and organizational skills?

3. Simply joining and participating in student clubs. There are all sorts of engineering competitions out there and universities will often form clubs for students interested in competing in them and these clubs aren't exclusive to engineers. For example, you might want to join your school's solar car racing team, or robotics team.

Do an internship. I had friends that did them at NASA, NASA-Goddard, Raytheon, Bechtel, Westinghouse, etc. Your physics department should have the contacts that you need to see what they have. Summer internships are great. They give you a good look at various fields. You get to work next to people doing the real deal. You can see if you are interested in certain types of work.

An often overlooked asset is alumni. Talk to your professors about who is where, and see if they'd make a call on your behalf for an internship. We all started somewhere, and it can be hard to turn down the professor that got us on our way.

Physicists can't demand as much money as engineers can. There's one weakness.

mayonaise said:
I think there is a fallacy here. In a standard physics education, you're likely taught ever harder, simpler and deeper principles, the first principles. And then you're hinted that when you know Newtonian physics you know how to do mechanical engineering, and when you know Maxwell equations you know how to do electrical engineering. But in fact, there are a lot of things that when you try to derive from first principles, you'll either a) fail, or b) re-invent the wheel. I would urge you, if you think the "principles" are all mighty, to read "More Is Different" from P. W. Anderson
(http://www.andersonlocalization.com/pdf/more_is_different.pdf")

No car maker will allow you to derive the chassis stiffness from inter-atomic stiffness using electromagnetism.

Not true at all. Yes, Maxwell's equations are at the core of electrical engineering, but I'll be damned if Maxwell's equations will give you the theory behind filter design (e.g. Butterworth, Chebyschev, etc), control loops, or digital logic. True, you can just keep abstracting it with math, but in the end an electrical engineer has WAY more intuition into what's happening in electronics or power than a physicist cares to look at. Same applies for mechanical, chemical, biomedical, aero... pretty much all of 'em (except for civil, that one's a joke :tongue2:).

Key distinction here, too, as someone who's done both (albeit not as far in-depth as many here, but more than enough to pass a proper judgement): an engineer stops caring when he figures out the solution. He doesn't question why the solution is right, he just wants it to work. A physicist will keep deriving into insanity.

Granted, I do respect the physics side of things because physicists and mathematicians tend to look at problems from the top down (taking a generalized case and specifying it) whereas engineers tend to only look from the bottom up (taking a specific case and trying to generalize it). The former gives a MUCH better understanding and feel for what's actually happening, the latter usually struggles and grasps at concepts it can't comprehend.

Last edited by a moderator: