A pool with vapor over it at night

• Thread starter endeavor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vapor
In summary, at night, when the air is cooler, the pool water stays warm, and this warm water vaporizes and forms fog.
endeavor
I have a pool that has been above 80 degrees fahrenheit during the night. Recently I went for a swim just after sunset and noticed that I could see what appeared to be steam or some kind of vapor moving over or coming out of my pool. Now I thought it can't be steam, because steam is water in the form of vapor, which would have be to at 212 degrees fahrenheit! The air temperature is probably in the 60s at night, and I have a chlorine salt generating pool. Does anyone know what I am seeing and can anyone explain this to me? The only guess I have is that it has something to do with convection currents...but I don't know. I can't see how something can be evaporating out of the pool, because it's pretty cool at night; unless something is evaporating all the time, but I can only see it against dark backgrounds at night.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not steam. (Steam is actually invisible.) What you're seeing is actually droplets of water suspended in air.

You are correct that your pool evaporates all the time, not just when the air is warm. In fact, it evaporates as long as the air above it is not 100% saturated already.

When the air is already quite humid, the additional water vapor evaporating near your pool can cause super-saturation. Small droplets of water then condense out, and remain suspended in the air. What you're seeing... is fog.

- Warren

Yep. Fog.

At night, your pool water stays warm, while the air temp drops rapidly at night.

The water evaporates (because it's warm) and rises, hitting the cool air and forming fog.

As a side note: Counter-intuitively, the overnight temperature drop in a pool is NOT caused by the drop in ambient temperature of the environment. The vast majority of the temperature drop in a pool is actually caused by evaporation (which is an endothermic reaction - it steals heat). Best way to keep your pool warm is to prevent evaporation.

Last edited:
A side note:
endeavor said:
Now I thought it can't be steam, because steam is water in the form of vapor, which would have be to at 212 degrees fahrenheit!
Think about that a little longer. If you listen to a weather report and the talking head tells you the relative humidity, what is being measured? What does that mean for your sentence above?

russ_watters said:
A side note: Think about that a little longer. If you listen to a weather report and the talking head tells you the relative humidity, what is being measured? What does that mean for your sentence above?
Relative humidity is the ratio of the amount of water in the air to the amount of water when the air is saturated, right?

So I was thinking about boiling water, but evaporation occurs all the time. Tell me if this is right: Evaporation occurs all the time because there are molecules at the top of the water that have enough kinetic energy to escape the liquid state. However, in boiling, all the molecules have enough kinetic energy to escape the liquid state. (but then why don't all the molecules immediately become a gas?)

1. What causes the vapor to form over a pool at night?

The vapor is formed due to the difference in temperature between the water in the pool and the surrounding air. As the water loses heat throughout the night, it releases water vapor which then rises and forms a layer over the pool.

2. Is it safe to swim in a pool with vapor over it at night?

Yes, it is safe to swim in a pool with vapor over it at night. The water in the pool is still at a comfortable temperature and the vapor is simply a result of the water losing heat and releasing water vapor into the air.

3. Why does the vapor only form at night?

The vapor forms only at night because the temperature difference between the pool water and air is greater at night. During the day, the air temperature is warmer and can hold more water vapor, whereas at night, the air is cooler and can hold less water vapor, causing it to condense over the pool.

4. Does the amount of vapor over the pool indicate the pool's temperature?

No, the amount of vapor over the pool does not necessarily indicate the pool's temperature. The vapor is a result of the temperature difference between the water and air, and can vary depending on environmental factors such as humidity and wind.

5. Will the vapor affect the pool's water chemistry?

The vapor over the pool will not significantly affect the pool's water chemistry. However, it is important to regularly test and maintain the pool's chemicals to ensure a safe and clean swimming environment.