Practice problem: Determining R using current divider method

• Thread starter Saeed.z
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a practice problem in a textbook involving a circuit with a load resistor. The speaker initially calculates the value of the load resistor to be 8 ohms, but the correct answer is listed as 24 ohms. Confusion arises as the speaker's calculations using a current divider method are correct. Others in the conversation also confirm that 8 ohms is the correct value. It is suggested that the incorrect answer in the textbook may be due to an error.
Saeed.z
Hi all ,

there is a practice problem in my textbook which say :

http://im17.gulfup.com/2012-02-14/1329248560881.jpg

i found after the load is attached that the current through 10 ohm's is 0.2 ampere and through R_L is 0.25 ampere, therefore , the value of R_L is 8 ohm's but the correct answer is 24 ohm's !

i checked again with the multism program and found my answer is correct !

i used the current divider method here .

so I'm a little confused ! which one is correct ?

BTW , sorry for my bad english :)

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Saeed.z said:
Hi all ,

there is a practice problem in my textbook which say :

http://im17.gulfup.com/2012-02-14/1329248560881.jpg

i found after the load is attached that the current through 10 ohm's is 0.2 ampere and through R_L is 0.25 ampere, therefore , the value of R_L is 8 ohm's but the correct answer is 24 ohm's !

i checked again with the multism program and found my answer is correct !

i used the current divider method here .

so I'm a little confused ! which one is correct ?

BTW , sorry for my bad english :)

thanks

The current drawn from the source power supply is greater when the Rl resistor is connected.

To figure this out, just write the equation for the output voltage with the known resistors 40 and 10 and the unknown Rl in parallel with the 10 Ohm resistor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get 8 Ohms too.

DragonPetter said:
I get 8 Ohms too.

Interesting. I didn't even bother to figure out the answer, but you are right. Plugging in 8 Ohms for the load resistor does give 2V at the output. Hmm...

berkeman said:
Interesting. I didn't even bother to figure out the answer, but you are right. Plugging in 8 Ohms for the load resistor does give 2V at the output. Hmm...

I tried to figure out where they could get 24 ohms from, as if I misinterpreted the problem, but I didn't bother with spending the time and assume its an error in the answer book.

@berkeman
@DragonPetter
thank you all of you guys , i really appreciate your help !
thanks !

Related to Practice problem: Determining R using current divider method

1. What is R and why is it important in scientific research?

R is a statistical programming language widely used in scientific research to analyze data and generate visualizations. It is important because it allows researchers to perform complex statistical analyses and visualize data in a user-friendly way, making it easier to interpret and communicate findings.

2. How do I determine the appropriate value for R in a practice problem?

The appropriate value for R in a practice problem can be determined by using statistical software, such as RStudio, to run a linear regression analysis on the data. The R value, also known as the correlation coefficient, will be calculated and can range from -1 to +1, with higher values indicating a stronger relationship between variables.

3. Can R be used for any type of scientific research?

Yes, R can be used for a wide range of scientific research, including biology, psychology, economics, and more. Its flexibility and versatility make it a popular choice among researchers in various fields.

4. Are there any limitations to using R in scientific research?

While R is a powerful tool for data analysis, it does have some limitations. It may not be suitable for analyzing large and complex datasets, and it requires a basic understanding of programming and statistics to use effectively.

5. How can I improve my skills in using R for practice problems?

To improve your skills in using R for practice problems, you can take online courses, attend workshops or conferences, and practice regularly with different datasets. You can also refer to online resources and documentation for tips and tricks on using R for data analysis. Collaborating with other researchers who are proficient in R can also help enhance your skills.