1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

V-i characteristics for voltage divider with current source

1. Mar 9, 2015 #1
    This is a problem from Foundations of Analog and Digital Electronic Circuits by Agarwal & Lang, I'm going through it by myself, I'm not in a course, so I'm depending on you friendly forum people for help! I really like this book but it has a lot of errors, perhaps this is another error.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Sketch the i-v characteristics for the network. Label intercepts and slopes.
    2_8_e.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    The solution PDF for this textbook says that the answer is
    i = (v/4) + (v/5 + 2)
    i = (9/20)v + 2
    So the slope is 9/20 and the i-intercept is 2 Amps.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My answer is i = v/4 + 2, which I got from connecting a current source to the terminal and solving the circuit for i. So the slope is 1/4, the i-intercept is 2 Amps.

I tried simulating the circuit on partsim.com with a DC sweep and I think it confirmed my answer, but I don't really know my way around circuit simulators yet so maybe I messed up.

I understand that the solution PDF got its answer by plugging Ohm's law into i = i1 + i2, where i1 is current through the 4 Ohm resistor and i2 is current through the 5 Ohm resistor.

But didn't it get i2 wrong? Shouldn't i2 = 2 Amps, because the current through the 5 Ohm resistor goes directly into the ideal current source which is set at 2 Amps?

So in my view, the 5 Ohm resistor could be any resistance, it doesn't matter, because there will always be 2 Amps going through it. Am I correct? (Obviously for real life elements this wouldn't hold up but I'm talking ideal elements here). I still am not totally comfortable with the intuition behind ideal current sources so confirming/denying this would really help me out.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Your answer looks good to me.

4. Mar 10, 2015 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree. I looked at two cases..

Vin = 0 so no current flows through the 4 Ohm. Means Iin = 2A
    Iin = 0 so all of the 2 Amp flows through the 4 Ohm. Means Vin = -8V.

Plot both points. Slope is 2/8 = 1/4.

5. Mar 10, 2015 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My answer is i = v/9 + 10/9
    Solved by summing currents to 0 at the output (top of the 5 ohm), & solving for i (and output voltage).
    EDIT I drew the picture wrong. :H
    Post #5 is correct. Interesting that the 5 ohm plays no part in the i-V characteristic.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  6. Mar 11, 2015 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The 5 Ohm is horizontal. Do you mean the top of the 4 Ohm? I tried applying KCL to the node at top of the 4Ohm and get...

Let into the node be +ve then...

Iin - I4ohm - 2 = 0......................(1)

Apply Ohms law to the 4Ohm..

I4ohm = Vin/4 ...........................(2)

substitute (2) into (1)

Iin - (Vin/4) - 2 = 0

Rearrange..

Iin = (Vin/4) + 2

Same result as my previous attempt. Slope = 1/4, intersects at +2A

7. Mar 13, 2015 #6

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

This is wrong. It should be i = (v/4) + 2

The current through the 5Ω resistor is a fixed 2A. End of story.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted