A problem regarding the electric potential of an electron

In summary, the conversation discusses a sample problem in a physics textbook that has caused confusion for the speaker. They question why the change in electric potential is positive when the electron is moving to a higher potential, and also inquire about the large electric field near Earth's surface and its lack of impact on daily life. The conversation concludes with a clarification on the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy.
AdrianMachin

Homework Statement

There is a sample problem in my physics textbook (Fundamentals of Physics, 10th Edition by David Halliday and others) which has some confusion in it for me. Please take a look at the snapshot I took, in the attachments.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I do understand why the change in the electric potential energy of the electron is negative, because the electron tends to move upwards by its own to decrease its potential energy, right? But I don't understand why the textbook says the change in electric potential is positive and the electron moves to a higher potential? The electric field is pointed downward so naturally, the electron tends to move upward to decrease its potential energy. So at higher altitudes, the potential must be lower, not higher...?

Also, how come there is such a big electric field of 150 N/C near Earth's surface and thus tens of kilovolts in potential change?! How does it not affect our life or devices?

And I think the textbook has a mistake in calculating the ∆V, it should be 75kV.

Attachments

• problem.png
    problem.png
    74.5 KB · Views: 392
Physics news on Phys.org
This video may help you to understand why you don't get messed up with electric fields in the atmosphere.

AdrianMachin said:
the textbook says the change in electric potential is positive and the electron moves to a higher potential? The electric field is pointed downward so naturally, the electron tends to move upward to decrease its potential energy
Don't confuse electric potential (aka voltage) with electric potential energy. When a charge q moves to a different potential (voltage) its change in potential energy is qΔV. If q is negative and it goes to a higher potential then that change will be negative.

Likes scottdave

1. What is the electric potential of an electron?

The electric potential of an electron is a measure of the work required to move it from a reference point to its current position in an electric field. It is typically measured in volts (V).

2. How is the electric potential of an electron related to its charge?

The electric potential of an electron is directly proportional to its charge. This means that as the charge of an electron increases, its electric potential also increases.

3. Can the electric potential of an electron be negative?

Yes, the electric potential of an electron can be negative. This occurs when the electron is in an electric field with a negative charge, meaning it is moving towards a region of lower potential.

4. How does the electric potential of an electron affect its movement?

The electric potential of an electron is responsible for its movement in an electric field. The electron will always move towards regions of lower potential, meaning it will move from areas with higher charge to areas with lower charge.

5. How is the electric potential of an electron measured?

The electric potential of an electron can be measured using a voltmeter. The voltmeter measures the potential difference between two points in an electric field, with one point acting as a reference point. This potential difference is then used to calculate the electric potential of the electron.