1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A problem that puts me in difficulty

1. Nov 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [itex] a,b,c,d [/itex] be real number that satisfy the property that [itex] a + b = c + d [/itex] and [itex] a^2 + b^2 = c^2 + d^2 [/itex]. Show that [itex] a^n + b^n = c^n + d^n [/itex] for any [itex] n [/itex], a natural number ( with [itex] n > 0 [/itex] ) .

2. Relevant equations

[tex] x^n - y^n = (x-y)(x^{n-1} + x^{n-2}y + x^{n-3}y^2 + ... + x^1y^{n-2} + y^{n-1}) [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I have two ideas but I couldn't succed to apply them properly:

1) First, I'm thinking at a mathematical induction, but it seems that in this case the proof via induction isn't so straightforward.

2) Second, I'm thinking of writing that : [itex] a^n - c^n = d^n - b^n [/itex] and, then then using the formula:

[tex] x^n - y^n = (x-y)(x^{n-1} + x^{n-2}y + x^{n-3}y^2 + ... + x^1y^{n-2} + y^{n-1}) [/tex]

But this dosen't seem very helpful either. The very first move I thought of making is writing that:

[itex] a^n - c^n = d^n - b^n \to (a-c)(..... )= (d-b)(......) [/itex] and get rid of the first paranthesis. Unfortunately, I cannot do this beacause I don't know for sure if (a-c) and (d-b) are diffrent from 0.

Please, can sombeody guide me to the solution ? Are my ideas good ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The two properties [itex] a + b = c + d [/itex] and [itex] a^2 + b^2 = c^2 + d^2 [/itex] involve some simple relations between a,b,c,d. What are these? (Write out the equations as differences and factorize the second one. )

ehild

4. Nov 17, 2013 #3
    Well, I'd get that:

[tex] (a - c)(a+c) = (d-b)(d+b) [/tex]

Now, if [itex] a - c = 0 [/itex] then [itex] d- b = 0[/itex] , and [itex] a = c [/itex] and [itex] b = d [/itex] . In this case, the problem statement holds. So, let's asume that a -c and d - b are both different from 0 .
    Then, I get that: [itex] a + c = d + b [/itex] .

Also, by squaring [itex] a + b = c + d [/itex] and using the problem statement I get that [itex] ab = cd [/itex]

So, I found two new relations:
    [tex] ab = cd [/tex]
    [tex] a + c = d + b [/tex]

Is this correct ?

5. Nov 17, 2013 #4
    Wait a minute:

a + c = d + b
    a + b = d + c

By summing the two relations we have that: 2a + b + c = 2d + b + c , so a = d .

If a = d then b = c and the statement is proved :) .

6. Nov 17, 2013 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

and you also know that a-c=d-b. **

well done! The other case is discussed in your next post. :smile:

ehild

7. Nov 17, 2013 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Excellent! You have solved the problem :thumbs:

ehild

8. Nov 17, 2013 #7
    Thank you very much ! You really helped me. You gave me the right hint at the right time. All the best! Maybe we will see eachother again around here! :) :)

9. Nov 17, 2013 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

See you soon:smile:

ehild

10. Nov 17, 2013 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Another way: from ##a+b = c+d## and ##a^2 + b^2 = c^2 + d^2## we have
    [tex] (a+b)^2 - a^2 - b^2 = (c+d)^2 - c^2 - d^2 \\
    \text{ or}\\
    2a b = 2 cd \rightarrow ab = cd[/tex]
    Therefore,
    [tex] a^2 + b^2 - 2 ab = c^2 + d^2 - 2cd \\
    \text{ or}\\
    (a-b)^2 = (c-d)^2 \rightarrow a-b = \pm(c-d)[/tex]
    Just consider separately the two cases ##a+b = c+d, a-b = c-d## and ##a+b = c+d, a-b = d-c##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted