1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A problem with limits ( i think!)

1. Mar 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The maximum deflection of a beam is given by the equation
    y=M/P(sec(μL/2)-1)
    μ=√(P/EI) Where EI Is a constant.
    Show that as P→0 y→ML^2/8EI

This is a mathCAD problem by the way, but i'm very novice at it so i want to try formulise some sort of solution on paper before i attempt mathCAD
    2. Relevant equations
    8991dfbd9db5990224ae803c727464a7.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm really stuck, firstly i would replace μ with √(P/EI)
    ∴y = M/P(sec(√(P/EI)*L)/2)-1)
    I think the next step is to try get the EI out the function as it is a constant and doesnt need to be differntiated.
    The derivivative of secx is tanxsecx which is the same as tanx/cosx and as x approaches 0 the function will equal 0/1 which is 0

If someone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated !

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The limit is correct, if the initial equation has P^2 instead of P in the denominator.

I would keep EI there, it gives the correct factors in the derivatives.
    $$y=M \frac{\sec \left(\sqrt{\frac{P}{EI}}\frac{L}{2} \right)-1}{P^2}$$

4. Mar 4, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So you want to replace [itex]\sqrt{P/EI}L/2[/itex] with x. Then [itex]P= (4x/L^2)(EI)= 4EIx/L^2[/itex]. [itex]y= M/[(4EIx/L^2)(sec(x)- 1)= ML^2/(4EIx(sec(x)- 1)[/itex]

5. Mar 4, 2013 #4
    I'm still a little bit confused have you said that the √x = √P/EI * L/2 ∴ x = P/EI * L^2/4 ∴ 4xEI/L^2 = P, then

I follow that you have placed P back into the equation im confused why the sec x is on the bottom of the fraction now when it was on the top before.

Am i not right in saying that y=(ML^2*sec(x)-1)/4EIx
    So d/dx(Ml^2*sec(x)-1) = ML^2secxtanx
    d/dx 4EIx = 4Ei
    Would i then subsitute x back into the equation ?

Also Mfb why have you replaced P with P^2 in the original equation

6. Mar 4, 2013 #5

mfb

2016 Award

I think some brackets in HallsofIvy's post are wrong.
    That is just a guess: with P^2, the given limit is correct, without, it is not.

7. Mar 4, 2013 #6
    So i've said that x = √(P/Ei) * L/2
    ∴P = (x2*EI *4)/L2

Subsituting back in i get

(ML2(sec(x)-1)/x24EI

D/dx ML2(sec(x)-1) = ML2sec(x)tan(x) Where x = √(P/Ei) * L/2 as P reaches 0 x = 0 aswell. Which means sec(x)tan(x) = zero which cancells the top complety so surely this isnt correct!?

The bottom would become 8EIx

Am i doing something wrong, this is really my first problem with limits and i don't even recall being taught L'Hôpital's rule. This is a MathCad problem, and i think it is meant to calculate mos this maths!

I'm just sturggling to arrange it in mathCAD without getting a catalogue of errors, so i thought it might be easier to generate a paper solution first !

8. Mar 5, 2013 #7
    I still don't see where the p^2 came from , if p is approaching 0 then what difference does it make if p is p^2, also if its p^2 on the bottom would you not have to times the top by another factor of p. whether p is p^2 or just p surely we have the correct intermediate form of 0/0 already as secx -1 = 0

9. Mar 5, 2013 #8

mfb

2016 Award

That P^2 is not the result of any calculation.

The formula given in post 1 does not fit to the limit given there. Therefore, we have 3 options:
    - the given limit is wrong. In that case, you already know the correct limit
    - the given formula is wrong, but the limit is right. In that case, I found a new, different formula, with the correct limit
    - both are wrong. We are lost.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted