Empowering Middle School Girls in STEM

In summary, the conversation involves a person discussing their project idea of encouraging middle school girls to pursue engineering and addressing concerns about its uniqueness and creativity. They also mention the time frame of the project and ask for suggestions. The conversation also touches on the issue of females being discouraged from pursuing math and science and the existence of programs to address this.
kolycholy
my project involves doing something that involves community service work...

I wanted to do a project on middle school girls to encourage them to pursue engineering, because the number of women engineers in US (or any other place in general I think) does not look very promising. Now, I wouldn't hesitate to include physics, computer science, math etc in the project, because these subjects are not supposed to be a girl's forte. However, I'm a bit reluctant to make it a science project rather than an engineering project, because science would include biology, chemistry etc, and I think girls are doing fine in those fields. (look at the number of female doctors we have?!)
now that I have told you about my general vague idea about my project, i am afraid that there's not something unique/creative about my project. In other words, I googled my project idea and I found out other universities have carried out similar stuff.

so I was wondering what could I possibly do to make the project more exciting and something that has not been done before? at the end of day, it needs to be a community service project though. (although we don't need to stress this too much)

Physics news on Phys.org
What is this project for? a class?...research? i.e. why you are concerned about its "creativity-value"? If it's really to accomplish something, maybe an already-sucessful program is a good thing to copy, and you can include some of that research in your project write-up, justifying your project decision (after all, if a sucessful program isn't in your community, getting one going is GOOD). Or maybe is the program interests you but isn't really shown to encourage girls to become engineers, can you think of a way to measure that in the time-frame of your project?

Then: What is the time frame of your project with the students? What are some of the ideas you already have or have found? Can you modify them slightly to make the more "yours"? Let's continue this discussion!

Although I don't have any idea but I am very much interested in this topic too. Please do not stop. Thank you.

physics girl phd said:
What is this project for? a class?...research? i.e. why you are concerned about its "creativity-value"? If it's really to accomplish something, maybe an already-sucessful program is a good thing to copy, and you can include some of that research in your project write-up, justifying your project decision (after all, if a sucessful program isn't in your community, getting one going is GOOD). Or maybe is the program interests you but isn't really shown to encourage girls to become engineers, can you think of a way to measure that in the time-frame of your project?

Then: What is the time frame of your project with the students? What are some of the ideas you already have or have found? Can you modify them slightly to make the more "yours"? Let's continue this discussion!
the project is for a class, but the last time I checked, it was supposed to be a research project ...
I was also thinking instead of encouraging girls to pursue math and physics, maybe I should try to find the reason they don't pursue math and physics ...
i know you would think that why not both? but i don't think i would have that much time ... i have about a semester to finish the project ...
i'm still pretty open to suggestions though

kolycholy said:
because the number of women engineers ... does not look very promising.

Some studies say that females are mentally more challanged by math and science than men. They even have a MISS program at CalState Fullerton to help girls with those subjects over the summer.

Can you tell us more specifically what class this is?

1. What is the purpose of empowering middle school girls in STEM?

The purpose of empowering middle school girls in STEM is to increase their interest, confidence, and participation in science, technology, engineering, and math fields. By providing them with opportunities to engage in hands-on learning and mentorship, we aim to break down gender stereotypes and encourage girls to pursue their passions in STEM.

2. How do you plan to empower middle school girls in STEM?

We plan to empower middle school girls in STEM through various initiatives such as workshops, camps, and mentorship programs. These programs will provide hands-on learning experiences, exposure to successful women in STEM, and opportunities to work on real-world projects. We also aim to create a supportive and inclusive environment where girls feel confident to pursue their interests in STEM.

3. What are the benefits of empowering middle school girls in STEM?

Empowering middle school girls in STEM has numerous benefits, including increasing diversity and representation in STEM fields, improving problem-solving and critical thinking skills, and preparing girls for future careers in high-demand industries. It also helps to break down gender stereotypes and promotes gender equality in the STEM workforce.

4. How do you address the gender gap in STEM among middle school girls?

We address the gender gap in STEM by providing girls with opportunities to engage in hands-on learning, mentorship, and exposure to successful women in STEM. We also aim to create a supportive and inclusive environment where girls feel comfortable and confident to pursue their interests in STEM. Additionally, we work to challenge and break down gender stereotypes and promote the idea that anyone, regardless of gender, can excel in STEM fields.

5. How can I get involved in empowering middle school girls in STEM?

There are several ways to get involved in empowering middle school girls in STEM. You can volunteer your time and expertise by becoming a mentor or guest speaker for workshops or camps. You can also support organizations that focus on empowering girls in STEM through donations or spreading awareness. Additionally, you can encourage the girls in your life to pursue their interests in STEM and challenge any gender stereotypes they may face.