A Projectile problem -- Time to reach 1/3 of the max height

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 2K views
rudransh verma
Gold Member
Messages
1,067
Reaction score
96
Homework Statement
A particle is projected vertically upward and it attains max height H. If the ratio of times to attain height h(h<H) is 1/3, find h.
Relevant Equations
##s=ut+\frac12at^2##
Assuming it’s one body whose initial speed is u. First it attains height h then H. t1 and t2 are two times at which they attain h and H.
##h=ut1-\frac12gt1^2##
##H=ut2-\frac12gt2^2##
##\frac {t1}{t2}=1/3## Replacing t2 with 3t1, I am stuck.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Make a drawing of height as a function of time. Is the question clear now ?
I mean iss the mathematical problem clear now ?

What is the relationship between ##H## and ##u## ?

[[edit] ah, haru was faster !

##\ ##
 
BvU said:
What is the relationship between H and u ?
Maybe we can use ##u^2=2gH##
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BvU
@BvU I got based on ##h=ut1-\frac12gt1^2## , ##H=ut2-\frac12gt2^2## , ##u^2=2gH## and ##t2=3t1##
##\frac{u^2}{2g}=3ut1-\frac92gt1^2## and
##h=ut1-\frac12gt1^2##
But then ?
 
Perhaps it's time to invoke another relevant SUVAT equation ... how about ##u## and the vertical velocity at ##H## -- what is their relationship ?

##\ ##
 
rudransh verma said:
@BvU I got based on ##h=ut1-\frac12gt1^2## , ##H=ut2-\frac12gt2^2## , ##u^2=2gH## and ##t2=3t1##
##\frac{u^2}{2g}=3ut1-\frac92gt1^2## and
##h=ut1-\frac12gt1^2##
But then ?
When manipulating simultaneous equations, you need to keep in mind which variables should appear in the final equation. The given variable is H, so don't try to eliminate it. The ones to be eliminated are t1, t2 and u.
 
BvU said:
Perhaps it's time to invoke another relevant SUVAT equation ... how about ##u## and the vertical velocity at ##H## -- what is their relationship ?

##\ ##
I am getting ##h=(5/9)H## but it’s not the same in book.
 
rudransh verma said:
I am getting ##h=(5/9)H## but it’s not the same in book.
I get the same.
The easiest way is to reverse it and consider an object in free fall from rest. If it falls distance y in time t, how far does it fall in time 2t? What about time 2t/3?

What does the book get?
 
haruspex said:
What does the book get?
(3/4)H
 
rudransh verma said:
(3/4)H
That would be the answer if the time were a half, not a third.
Did you try the way I mentioned in post #9?