Help with a mechanics problem from Kleppner's book

In summary, the problem involves an elevator departing the ground at t=0 with uniform velocity, and a boy dropping a marble through the floor of the lift that falls under constant acceleration g=9.8 ms^-2. If it takes the marble T2 time to fall down, the height at T1 can be found using the equations h=vT1 and h=vT2 -.5g(T2)^2. However, a clue given in the book suggests that when T1=T2=4, the height is 39.2. The solution may involve reevaluating the second equation for proper signage.
Tahmeed

Homework Statement

An elevator departs the ground at t=0 With uniform velocity. At T1 a boy drops a marbel through the floor of the lift that falls under constant acceleration g=9.8 ms^-2. If it takes marbel T2 time to fall down, what was the height at the T1.

Homework Equations

h=vT1
h= vT2 -.5g(T2)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply replaced v in second equation by h/T1. And i got the h in terms of T1, T2. But the problem is, there is a clue given with this problem in the book. That is when T1=T2=4 h=39.2 now, in my equation, T1=T2 gives a height 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
you have to relook your 2nd equation for proper signage.
Tahmeed said:

Homework Statement

An elevator departs the ground at t=0 With uniform velocity. At T1 a boy drops a marbel through the floor of the lift that falls under constant acceleration g=9.8 ms^-2. If it takes marbel T2 time to fall down, what was the height at the T1.

Homework Equations

h=vT1
h= vT2 -.5g(T2)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply replaced v in second equation by h/T1. And i got the h in terms of T1, T2. But the problem is, there is a clue given with this problem in the book. That is when T1=T2=4 h=39.2 now, in my equation, T1=T2 gives a height 0.
the height that the elevator rises at T1 is the same as the height the marble falls at T2. The sum total of those 2 distances is 0 (h - h =0). Check signage.

1. What is the best approach to solving a mechanics problem from Kleppner's book?

The best approach to solving a mechanics problem from Kleppner's book is to first carefully read and understand the problem statement. Then, identify the relevant concepts and equations that can be applied. It is also helpful to draw a diagram or visualize the problem to better understand the scenario. Finally, carefully apply the equations and solve for the unknown variables.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in mechanics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in mechanics, it is important to practice solving a variety of problems. This will help you become familiar with different types of problems and their solutions. Additionally, understanding the underlying concepts and principles of mechanics will also aid in problem-solving. Seeking help from a tutor or studying with a group can also be beneficial.

3. What should I do if I get stuck on a mechanics problem from Kleppner's book?

If you get stuck on a mechanics problem from Kleppner's book, it is important to not get discouraged. Take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective. Try breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also try looking for similar examples in the book or seeking help from a classmate or instructor.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving mechanics problems?

Yes, there are some common mistakes to avoid when solving mechanics problems. These include not carefully reading and understanding the problem statement, using incorrect or outdated equations, and not considering all relevant forces and factors in the problem. It is also important to double-check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy.

5. How can I check my answers to mechanics problems from Kleppner's book?

To check your answers to mechanics problems from Kleppner's book, you can first compare them to the solutions provided in the book. If you do not have access to the solutions, you can also try plugging your answers back into the original equations and see if they satisfy the conditions of the problem. Another option is to ask a classmate or instructor to check your work and provide feedback.