A Proton is Accelerated Through What Voltage?

In summary, a metal target sphere with a charge of +1.00 nC suspended in space requires a voltage of 59.93V in order for a distant proton to arrive at the sphere with a speed of 8.2*10^4 m/s. However, after taking into account the kinetic energy equation, the correct voltage needed is actually 95V. The confusion may stem from the principle behind the equation used to calculate the kinetic energy.
chunkytuna21
A metal target sphere of 30 cm diameter suspended out in space is given a charge of +1.00 nC. Through what voltage must a distant proton be accelerated from rest (by some sort of space weapon) if it is to arrive at the sphere at a speed of 8.2*10^4 m/s? (Neglect any gravitational effects.)

K0= 8.99*10^9, mass of proton= 1.67*10^-27kg, qe= 1.6*10^-19
V= (K0*Q)/R
1/2mvf^2= qe*delta V

First I calculated V: (8.99*10^9)(1.00*10^-9)/0.15m= 59.93V
Then I calculated Delta V: 1/2(1.67*10^-27)(82000^2)/1.6*10^-19= 35.09V
59.93V+35.09= 95V

Now, this is where I am confused. The answer is not 35V or 59V or even 95V. I really can't see any other way to solve this problem. Where am I going wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
chunkytuna21 said:
Where am I going wrong?
Probably right here:
chunkytuna21 said:
1/2mvf^2= qe*delta V
Write the general principle that you're using here.

What do you mean? That is the equation for kinetic energy of the proton. I don't know the principle behind it.

1. What is a proton?

A proton is a subatomic particle that has a positive charge and is found in the nucleus of an atom. It is one of the fundamental particles that make up all matter.

2. What does it mean to accelerate a proton?

Accelerating a proton means to increase its speed or velocity. This is typically done by applying a force to the proton, such as through an electric field.

3. How is a proton accelerated through voltage?

A proton can be accelerated through voltage by placing it in an electric field and applying a potential difference, or voltage, between two points. The electric field will exert a force on the proton, causing it to accelerate.

4. What is the relationship between voltage and proton acceleration?

The relationship between voltage and proton acceleration is directly proportional. This means that as the voltage increases, the acceleration of the proton also increases. This is because a higher voltage means a stronger electric field, resulting in a greater force on the proton.

5. How is the acceleration of a proton through voltage calculated?

The acceleration of a proton through voltage can be calculated using the equation a = qE/m, where a is the acceleration, q is the charge of the proton, E is the electric field strength, and m is the mass of the proton. The voltage can then be determined by using the equation V = Ed, where V is the voltage, E is the electric field strength, and d is the distance the proton is accelerated through.