1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can the acceleration of the proton be negative for this situation?

1. Sep 7, 2013 #1
    I asked this question because I think that acceleration could be positive (though I may be wrong.)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The electric field near the Earth's surface has magnitude of about [itex]150 \text{N/C} [/itex]. What is the acceleration of the proton?

2. Relevant equations

Clearly, we need to use these formulas

[itex]E = \dfrac{F}{q}[/itex]
    [itex]F = ma[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Combine the first two equations, we obtain

[itex]E = \dfrac{ma}{q}[/itex]

Let [itex]m[/itex] be the mass of the proton and [itex]q[/itex] be the charge of the proton. Then,

[itex]a = \dfrac{Eq}{m}[/itex]

Thus by substitution, I obtain

[itex]a = \dfrac{(150 \mbox{N/C})(-1.6 \times 10^{-19} \mbox{C})}{1.67 \times 10^{-27} \mbox{kg}}[/itex]
    [itex]a \approx -1.44 \times 10^{10} \mbox{m}/\mbox{s}^2[/itex]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

A proton has a positive charge (and you are off by 10 orders of magnitude with its absolute value).
    The magnitude of the acceleration is always positive, the sign of the acceleration depends on the (arbitrary) direction of your coordinate.

4. Sep 7, 2013 #3
    I get it by now. What about the acceleration of the electron? I calculated it for my online HW, and I found that the acceleration of the electron in the same electric field is [itex]2.6 \times 10^{13} \mbox{m}/\mbox{s}^2[/itex]. The online HW system marks it correct. Is it true that acceleration is also positive?

5. Sep 7, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The sign of the acceleration is meaningless if you do not use a specific coordinate system. The acceleration of electrons and protons happens in the opposite direction.

6. Sep 7, 2013 #5
    I see by now. Thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted