A question about battery powered cars

• Thread starter T C
  • Start date
T C

Summary:

A question about whether the power consumption of the battery of the battery cars will increase and decrease proportionately when the car accelerate or decelerate.

Main Question or Discussion Point

I have a question about battery cars. in our common household electrical appliances like the Fan, light i.e. gadgets having regulator attached to it consumes the same amount of energy whether in full power or at the lowest. Because the extra power will be channelled through resistance inside the regulator. I want to know is this same case for battery cars. I mean whether the power loss from the batteries will remain the same as long as the engine/motor is running or not.

Answers and Replies

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Hi TC. Battery powered devices no longer have variable resistances to dissipate unwanted power. These days, digital electronics is employed and the power to the drive motors is pulsed ON and OFF rapidly so that it averages out to be whatever level of power is required. The unwanted energy is left in the battery for later use, not wasted as heat. Efficiency is the name of the game.

T C
Thanks for your reply. That's the information I need.

T C
Hi TC. Battery powered devices no longer have variable resistances to dissipate unwanted power. These days, digital electronics is employed and the power to the drive motors is pulsed ON and OFF rapidly so that it averages out to be whatever level of power is required. The unwanted energy is left in the battery for later use, not wasted as heat. Efficiency is the name of the game.
Kindly give me one information. What's the minimum power of such batteries that is now market available.

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What's the minimum power of such batteries that is now market available.
There is no real minimum for Energy Storage capacity. What was the application you had in mind?

T C
I mean the type of batteries where the softwire can be installed to minimise power wastage.

berkeman
Mentor
Summary: A question about whether the power consumption of the battery of the battery cars will increase and decrease proportionately when the car accelerate or decelerate.

I have a question about battery cars.
Battery powered devices no longer have variable resistances to dissipate unwanted power. These days, digital electronics is employed and the power to the drive motors is pulsed ON and OFF rapidly so that it averages out to be whatever level of power is required
Kindly give me one information. What's the minimum power of such batteries that is now market available.
I mean the type of batteries where the softwire can be installed to minimise power wastage.
The batteries don't have software in them, the power saving regulator circuits are outside the batteries and use the batteries as the power source that they efficiently use to convert the battery voltage to whatever the application input voltage requirement is.

The search term for you to use is DC-DC Converter. That is the basic building block electronic circuit that is used to efficiently convert from one voltage to another.

Most battery-powered consumer electronics (cell phones, laptops, televisions, etc.) use DC-DC converter circuits to efficiently convert their power source (AC Mains and/or batteries) to their output voltage rails to their circuits.

Battery powered vehicles will use whatever size battery is appropriate to hold enough energy for the daily use of the vehicle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC-to-DC_converter

This is also the problem that I am wondering. Thanks to the topic owner, I have found my answer

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This is also the problem that I am wondering. Thanks to the topic owner, I have found my answer
Don't contemplate a DIY project unless you have a fair bit of experience. 'High current' Electrics has its own special problems, in the same way that High Voltage (mainsand above) Electrics. Shocks are unlikely but fires are a possible risk.