1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about conducting sphere using Gauss's Law

1. Mar 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A conducting spherical shell with inner radius a and outer radius b has a positive point charge Q located at its center. The total charge on the shell is -3Q, and it is insulated form it surroundings. What is the surface charge density on the inner surface of the conducting shell.? What is the surface charge density on the outer surface?

2. Relevant equations

EA= Q enclosed / ε0

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that since there is a point charge, this will change up the configuration a bit making the inner surface having -Q and outer surface to have -2Q charge enclosed. I have problems in determining the area. I don't know when does the inner end and when does the outer surface begin. Is it half way?? What would be the area then?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The radii of the inner and outer surfaces are given, a and b. Do you know how to calculate the area of a spherical surface from the radius?

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted