A question about differential equations

In summary, the question being asked is whether differential equations always have just one or zero general solutions. The answer is dependent on the type of differential equation and its initial or boundary conditions. In some cases, there can be multiple particular solutions, but only one or zero general solutions. The concept of "existence and uniqueness" for initial value problems is important to consider when dealing with these types of equations.
Nikitin
Hi,I'm new to these and thus my question might sound stupid: Do differential equations ALWAYS have just one or zero general solutions? I know each diff.equation can have multiple particular solutions, but can it only have one or zero general solutions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depending on the DE (if it is linear), you can 2 solutions, add them together and obtain another solution. I think your question relates to either initial conditions or boundary conditions which will lead to uniqueness.

That depends upon what you mean by "general solution".

An example used in many texts is [itex]y'= y^{1/2}[/itex]. That's easily separable so we get [itex]y^{-1/2}dy= dx[/itex] and, integrating, [itex]2y^{1/2}= x+ C[/itex] or [itex]y= (x+ C)^2/4[/itex]. However, it is clear that y(x)= 0, for all x, also satisfies that differential equation. That means that, for y(1)= 0, for example, we can [itex]y= (1+ C)^2/4= 0[/itex] so that C= -1. So that both [itex]y= (x- 1)^2/4[/itex] and y= 0 for all x satisfy both the differential equation and the initial condition.

I think you need to look at the concepts of "existence and uniqueness" for initial value problems which is probably given in your textbook.

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. They are used to model various physical phenomena, such as motion, heat transfer, and population growth.

2. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations involve only one independent variable, while partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. Additionally, the derivatives in ordinary differential equations are with respect to the same variable, while in partial differential equations, they are with respect to different variables.

3. What are some applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have numerous applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model and analyze real-world problems and make predictions about their behavior.

4. What are the different methods for solving differential equations?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. Other methods include numerical methods, such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods, and series solutions, such as power series and Fourier series.

5. What is the importance of differential equations in science?

Differential equations are essential in science as they provide a mathematical framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems. They allow scientists to model complex phenomena and make predictions about their behavior under different conditions.