A question about electromagnetic induction

1. Hi guys
    I just want to know why changing magnetic flux in a coil induces emf???
    Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Might be a question better posed on the classical physics area of the forum. At any rate, I'm not entirely sure that anyone knows why it happens, just that it does. Through experimentation, and a lot of thinking, we've figured out the equations that seem to predict the behavior; but to know, precisely, why it occurs, so far as I know, eludes us. I suppose one might find some answer looking in QM, but I'm not versed enough in that to tell you yes one way or the other.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  4. Hello people...imagine a magnet placed near a coil of many turns...now instead of moving the coil or magnet...will emf get induced when I force a turbulent Air in the gap between coil and magnet...becaz magnetic flux disturbed by air whose relative permeability changes when it moves turbulently........

5. I think it will induce an emf. Its magnitude will depend upon the degree of turbulence.

Narayanan KR likes this.
  6. Faraday observed the fact, as stated in Faraday's Law of Electromagnetic Induction. Maxwell later tried to put all the known laws of electricity and magnetism into a few equations, and suggested that a varying magnetic field produces an electric field. The electric field create an EMF between the ends of the conductor.

7. I'm pretty sure the guys over in the quantum physics forum will have an opinion. If you go that route, I might like to see their answer. I doubt I'll understand it, but hope seems a universal constant. :rolleyes:

I would guess it has something to do with exchanging virtual photons through quantum entanglement.

8. It derives from Lorenz force - a charged particle passing though a magnetic field will have a force applied to it - perpendicular to both the field and the direction of travel, from an EE understanding that should be the deepest it need to be looked at. Beyond that it becomes a discussion for relativity ( Sub atomic charged particles and E-M Fields - however not really entanglement)

9. jim hardy

jim hardy 5,159
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

think it's something that was observed and made use of, not something that was figured out a priori from more basic facts.

F = QV cross B is what pushes the charge Q along the wire,
    just as F= gm1m2/r2 pulls masses toward one another

cabraham likes this.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted