In summary: The N-S poles are on each of the 40 mm x 20 mm sides. A segment of an iron cylinder should be attached to the outside of each magnet to make the outer surface of the rotor poles a cylinder. That will reduce the gap between the rotor and the stator.
Manuel12
As a project, I am demonstrating electromagnetic induction by making an AC generator. The magnets I currently have access to are very strong neodymimium countersunk magnets, but I noticed that they utilise a Halbach array. I am aware that this means the magnet has alternating N-S poles spaced together, creating a stronger field on one side.

I assume the magnet and rotor would be something like the diagram below (there might be more "central" fields in mine)

Untitled-1.jpg

Given this, can the magnets be used in a 2-phase AC generator? If yes, how would the surrounding coils have to be oriented?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

The PM field for an alternator rotor needs to radiate large N and S fields outwards, alternating through the coils as it rotates. You show a rotor with only half that field, rotating the array sideways. Maybe the Halbach array is not the best way to go.

We need a better picture of the countersunk magnets available, with the poles marked on the surface, then construction of the rotor can be optimised.

Not sure if it's useful, but these are the magnets: https://www.amazon.nl/gp/product/B08K39Q1DL/

The flat side of the magnet is weaker, and the side with plastic protection is stronger

The countersunk magnets appear to be designed to hold tight onto a flat metal plate. That looks like one pole is around the centre hole, with the other pole around the outside of the same face, with the gap between poles filled by plastic. You can check that by feeling the poles with an iron wire like a paper clip, and/or a magnetic compass to identify the polarity.

I don't think those magnets can be used conveniently for a two pole alternator.

Likes Manuel12
Baluncore said:
The countersunk magnets appear to be designed to hold tight onto a flat metal plate. That looks like one pole is around the centre hole, with the other pole around the outside of the same face, with the gap between poles filled by plastic. You can check that by feeling the poles with an iron wire like a paper clip, and/or a magnetic compass to identify the polarity.

I think I might have to order a regular 2-pole cylindrical magnet then. Thanks for the reply!

Likes Baluncore
Baluncore said:

Do you think these magnets could work?: https://www.amazon.nl/gp/product/B00F9A0P6U/

The N-S poles are on each of the 40 mm x 20 mm sides

Manuel12 said:
Do you think these magnets could work?
Yes.
If the rotor shaft will pass through the rotor, then you will need two magnets, one on each side of the shaft. You will need a rectangular block of iron between the two magnets, with a hole drilled to take the shaft.

A segment of an iron cylinder should be attached to the outside of each magnet to make the outer surface of the rotor poles a cylinder. That will reduce the gap between the rotor and the stator.

Likes Manuel12

What is a Halbach array?

A Halbach array is a special arrangement of permanent magnets that creates a strong and uniform magnetic field on one side while canceling out the magnetic field on the other side.

How does a Halbach array work in an AC generator?

In an AC generator, the Halbach array is used to create a rotating magnetic field that interacts with the stationary coils to produce electricity. The uniform magnetic field on one side of the array ensures a consistent output of electricity.

What are the benefits of using a Halbach array in an AC generator?

Using a Halbach array in an AC generator allows for a more efficient and compact design. The uniform magnetic field created by the array results in a higher power output and reduces the need for additional magnets or complex wiring.

Can a Halbach array be used in other types of generators?

Yes, a Halbach array can be used in various types of generators, including DC generators and linear generators. Its unique magnetic field arrangement can improve the performance and efficiency of these generators.

Are there any drawbacks to using a Halbach array in an AC generator?

One potential drawback is the cost of manufacturing a Halbach array. The arrangement of magnets can be complex and may require specialized equipment and techniques. Additionally, the magnetic field may not be completely uniform, leading to some loss of efficiency.