1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about implicit differentiation

1. May 16, 2013 #1
    So, I understand that implicit differentiation involves derivatives in which x values and y values are mixed up. I've done several implicit differentiation problems a couple sections ago for my math homework, but I pretty just memorized patterns and solved it that way.

Now that I'm trying to make sense of related rates, I think it would help to have a better understanding of some of the reasons why its done the way its done.

So for example, (d/dx) x2 = 2x. that's pretty understandable.

When you take the derivative of y2 its basically done the same way. That's that "pattern memorization" I mentioned. What I don't understand is how they prove this by writing

1. (d/dx) y2

2. (d/dy) (dy/dx) y2

3. (d/dy) y2 (dy/dx)

4. 2y (dy/dx)

Understanding that (dy/dx) in step 4 seems to be an important factor in doing related rates, and I seemed to have missed the significance of that.

If you want a better reference for what I'm talking about, I'm watching this video on youtube and not understanding the "metamorphosis" to prove the derivative of y2

Edit:

So I understand the derivative of any constant times y = ky'

So dy/dx is the same as y' which is what I've been using. Maybe when I do related rates I should look at it that way.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's just the chain rule. Which says (f(y(x)))'=f'(y(x))*y'(x). If f(z)=z^2, then f(y(x))=y(x)^2. The derivative of that is f'(y(x))*y'(x), f'(z)=2z, so the whole derivative is 2*y(x)*y'(x).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  4. May 16, 2013 #3
    Yeah, it's starting to dawn on me what this all means. I blame the book though :)

5. May 16, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps, writing (d/dy) (dy/dx) y^2 isn't very clear. It makes it look like you should apply the product rule to the terms after (d/dy). You shouldn't. (dy/dx) (d/dy) y^2 would be much better. It's an ambiguity in writing it that way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted