1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I A question about Noether theorem

1. Feb 21, 2017 #1
    How can I derive that the work of a force perpendicular to velocity is always zero from the theorem of Noether?
    I have heard that there is a relation between these two but in Google I found nothing.

Thank you very much

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2017 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

For that you don't need Noether's theorem. The usual work theorem will do. The Newtonian EoM reads
    $$m \ddot{\vec{x}}=\vec{F}.$$
    Now multiply with ##\dot{\vec{x}}##, and you get
    $$m \dot{\vec{x}} \cdot \ddot{\vec{x}}=\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \frac{m}{2} \dot{\vec{x}}^2 = \vec{F} \cdot \dot{\vec{x}}.$$
    Now you if ##\dot{\vec{x}} \perp \vec{F}## the right-hand side is 0, and thus the kinetic energy is constant, i.e., the force doesn't do work.

4. Feb 21, 2017 #3

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Yes, but the question has been, how they are related? I came so far to see that Noether says: work as a function of force and position (##\;dW = F(\vec{x}) \cdot \nabla \vec{x}\;##) is invariant under orthogonal coordinate transformations. But how is this related to the fact, that an orthogonal force doesn't add work? (I just don't see the argument.)

5. Feb 21, 2017 #4
    There must be some relation but i can't imagine any. Thank you for your answer

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted