A question about non-conductive materials

• I
  • Thread starter TAOindustries
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Materials
In summary, Dave says that a drone with a 4' diameter frame could withstand the pressure and high winds of a super cell, but that it would be difficult to fly in those conditions and would be smashed if knocked out of the sky. He suggests using glass or polymer materials for the frame, and carbon fiber if money and a vacuum pump are available.
TAOindustries
We are trying to come up with a frame for a drone (4' in diameter) that could withstand the pressure and high winds of a super cell. I can't say much more on it at the moment until the project is complete but I would like to know if there are any non-conductive materials that could withstand that much pressure. Is this something that might be possible given a good frame design?

Physics news on Phys.org
TAOindustries said:
if there are any non-conductive materials that could withstand that much pressure

ceramics/glass or polymers can be chosen like teflon - but if one goes for glass /unbreakable glass sheets i think it will be cheaper also .

Thank you for your reply. It would be very interesting to be able to use ceramics for what I'm going for. If it could be done that would be great. I'm trying to build an impact resistant frame for a drone. The design would be a gyro sphere style with a 360° camera in the center. The sphere would have the propellers positioned on the outside of the frame and the box for the camera would have a Kevlar coating. The design would have to be able to withstand high winds and impacts and should at least be able to be somewhat maneuvered in said conditions. Is this something that is possible? Also if I did use ceramics, would I be able to mold that into a hollow tubing for the frame? Again thank you for your consideration and any help you might be able to give me. :smile:

How big is this drone?

TAOindustries said:
The design would have to be able to withstand high winds and impacts and should at least be able to be somewhat maneuvered in said conditions. Is this something that is possible?

withstanding the high winds and being knocked out of the sky into the ground and still useable is one thing

still being able to fly very close to/within a supercell is a whole different ball game and probably almost impossible
consider the conditions similar to being in a front loading clothes washing machine. I couldn't imagine anyone
being able to maintain flight control of it as it was being flipped and spun all over the place and being smashed with
5cm and greater hailstones. And you have the added risk of lightning strikes and if not a direct strike it is going to be
subjected to some very high electric fields that could do serious electronics damage

Drakkith said:
How big is this drone?

he said 4' diameterDave

davenn said:
he said 4' diameter

So he did. My mistake.

no probs I miss the info on a regular basis ... an ol' fart going blind syndrome haha

davenn said:
no probs I miss the info on a regular basis ... an ol' fart going blind syndrome haha

But what's my excuse!? o_O

Likes Drakkith
What are non-conductive materials?

Non-conductive materials are materials that do not allow electricity or heat to pass through them easily. They have high resistance to the flow of electrical current, making them poor conductors of electricity.What are some examples of non-conductive materials?

Examples of non-conductive materials include rubber, plastic, glass, wood, and ceramic. These materials are commonly used in electrical insulation, protective coatings, and other applications where electrical conductivity is not desirable.How do non-conductive materials differ from conductive materials?

Non-conductive materials have high resistance to electrical current, while conductive materials have low resistance. This means that non-conductive materials do not easily allow electricity to flow through them, while conductive materials do.Why are non-conductive materials important?

Non-conductive materials play a crucial role in electrical safety. They are used to prevent electrical shocks and fires by insulating wires, cables, and other electrical components. They are also used in electronics to prevent interference and protect sensitive components.Can non-conductive materials ever conduct electricity?

In some cases, non-conductive materials can become conductive. This can happen when the material is exposed to extreme temperatures or other environmental factors that cause it to break down and lose its insulating properties. It is important to choose non-conductive materials that are suitable for the specific application to prevent this from happening.