A question about the L'Hopital's rule

In summary, L'Hopital's Rule is defined in the textbook as a method for evaluating certain types of limits involving derivatives of functions. It involves checking for certain conditions, such as the existence of the limit of the quotient of the derivatives of f and g, and the limits of f and g themselves. There is a crucial requirement that g'(x) is nonzero "near" s. An example is given in Exercise 30.7 to illustrate the importance of this requirement and to show how careless application of L'Hopital's Rule can lead to erroneous results. The exercise involves finding the limit of f(x)/g(x) as x approaches infinity, which does not exist, even though the limit of f'(x)/g'(
Artusartos
This is how L'Hopital's Rule is defined in our textbook:

"Let s signify [itex] a, a^+, a^-, \infty or - \infty [/itex] and suppose f and g are differentiable functions for which hte following limit exists:

[itex] lim_{x \rightarrow s} \frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)} = L [/itex]..................(1)

If

[itex] lim_{x \rightarrow s} f(x) = lim_{x \rightarrow s} g(x) = 0 [/itex]................(2)

or if

[itex] lim_{x \rightarrow s} |g(x)| = + \infty [/itex].....................(3)

then

[itex] lim_{x \rightarrow s} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = L [/itex]....................(4)

Here is the part that I was having trouble with...

Note that the hypthesis (1) includes some implicit assumptions: f and g must be defined and differentiable "near" s and g'(x) must be nonzero "near" s. For example, if [itex] lim_{x \rightarrow a^+} \frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)} [/itex] exists, then there g' is nonzero. The requirement that g' be nonzero is crucial; see Exercise 30.7.

This is what exercise 30.7 is:

This example is taken from [38] and is due to Otto Stolz, Math, annalen 15 (1879), 556-559. The requirement in Theorem 30.2 [the one that I wrote above] that [itex] g'(x) \not= 0 [/itex] for x "near" s is important. In a careless application of L'Hopital's rule in which the zeros of g' "cancel" the zeros of f' erroneous results can be obtained. For x in R, let

f(x) = x + cosxsinx and [itex] g(x)= e^{sinx}(x+cosxsinx)[/itex]

[itex] \frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)} = \frac{2e^{-sinx}cosx}{2cosx+f(x)} [/itex] if cosx is not zero adn x>3.

Show that [itex] lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{2e^{-sinx}cosx}{2cosx+f(x)} = 0 [/itex] and yet the limit [itex] lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)}[/itex] does not exist.

I'm a bit confused about this, because I don't think I understood that theorem correctly...so can anybody clarify it for me?

For example, with this exercise...when I graphed f(x) and g(x), they both looked continuous and smooth...so obviously they were differentiable. But I could not understand how g'(x) is zero "near" infinity, because (as I said), I'm having trouble understanding the theorem...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since no one else answered. I'm a going to ask for some clarification. Are you having trouble understanding why this rule is true? Or are you having trouble seeing what this problem is trying to get you realize?

What is L'Hopital's rule?

L'Hopital's rule is a mathematical theorem that allows us to evaluate limits of indeterminate forms by taking the ratio of derivatives of the numerator and denominator.

What are the conditions for using L'Hopital's rule?

The conditions for using L'Hopital's rule are: 1) the limit must be in the form of 0/0 or ∞/∞, 2) the limit must be a real number, and 3) the limit must be continuous at the point where the rule is being applied.

How do you apply L'Hopital's rule?

To apply L'Hopital's rule, you must first identify the limit in the form of 0/0 or ∞/∞. Then, take the derivative of the numerator and denominator separately and evaluate the new limit. Repeat this process until the limit no longer takes the indeterminate form.

What is the purpose of L'Hopital's rule?

The purpose of L'Hopital's rule is to simplify the evaluation of limits, especially in cases where direct substitution does not work. It also allows us to find the limit of some functions that would be difficult to evaluate otherwise.

Are there any limitations to L'Hopital's rule?

Yes, there are limitations to L'Hopital's rule. It can only be applied to limits of indeterminate forms, and it may not always work for every limit. It is also important to be aware of any discontinuities or points of non-differentiability when using this rule.