Calculating Limits without Cheating or L'Hopital's Rule

In summary, the limits are:\[\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{ln(x^{2}+e^{x})}{ln(x^{4}+e^{2x})}\]\[\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty } \frac{ln(x^{2}+e^{x})}{ln(x^{4}+e^{2x})}\]
Yankel
Hello all,

I am trying to calculate the following limits, without cheating and using a calculator (by setting a very close value of the required value of x). And no l'hopital's rule either if possible :-)

The limits are:

\[\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{ln(x^{2}+e^{x})}{ln(x^{4}+e^{2x})}\]

\[\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty } \frac{ln(x^{2}+e^{x})}{ln(x^{4}+e^{2x})}\]

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mmm...after rethinking the problem. If on the denominator, I take the power of 2 up, and then using ln rules takes it out of the ln, I get 0.5. Is this the answer for both cases ?

If so, I apologize, and here is a new question instead :-)

\[\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty }[(x+2)ln(x+2)-2(x+1)ln(x+1)+xln(x)]\]

Last edited:
Yankel said:
mmm...after rethinking the problem. If on the denominator, I take the power of 2 up, and then using ln rules takes it out of the ln, I get 0.5. Is this the answer for both cases ?

If so, I apologize, and here is a new question instead :-)

\[\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty }[(x+2)ln(x+2)-2(x+1)ln(x+1)+xln(x)]\]

Hint: use that

$$\lim_{x \to \infty } x \log(x+1)-x \log(x) = 1 $$

I'm afraid that the hint is not helping, I don't know how to proceed.

In addition, my solution to the first limits is wrong (final answer is correct, but the way is wrong).

The first one (using the limit definition of $e$ and approximation to Taylor series):

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to0}\dfrac{\ln(x^2+e^x)}{\ln(x^4+e^{2x})}=\lim_{x\to0}\dfrac{\ln(x^2+[(x+1)^{1/x}]^x)}{\ln(x^4+[(2x+1)^{1/x}]^x)}=\lim_{x\to0}\dfrac{\ln(x^2+x+1)}{\ln(x^4+2x+1)}\sim\dfrac{\ln(e^x)}{\ln(e^{2x})}=\dfrac12\)

Third one:

\(\displaystyle \ln\left(\lim_{x\to\infty}\dfrac{(x+2)^{x+2}\cdot x^x}{(x+1)^{2(x+1)}}\right)\sim\ln(1)=0\)

greg1313 said:
The first one (using the limit definition of $e$ and approximation to Taylor series):

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to0}\dfrac{\ln(x^2+e^x)}{\ln(x^4+e^{2x})}=\lim_{x\to0}\dfrac{\ln(x^2+[(x+1)^{1/x}]^x)}{\ln(x^4+[(2x+1)^{1/x}]^x)}=\lim_{x\to0}\dfrac{\ln(x^2+x+1)}{\ln(x^4+2x+1)}\sim\dfrac{\ln(e^x)}{\ln(e^{2x})}=\dfrac12\)

This technique (with the limit definition of $e$) is questionable. Consider using it to solve

$$\lim_{x\to0}\dfrac{e^x-x-1}{x^2}$$

1. What is the purpose of calculating limits without using Cheating or L'Hopital's Rule?

The purpose of calculating limits without using Cheating or L'Hopital's Rule is to develop a deeper understanding of the fundamental concepts of calculus and to strengthen problem-solving skills.

2. What are the basic steps to calculating limits without using Cheating or L'Hopital's Rule?

The basic steps to calculating limits without using Cheating or L'Hopital's Rule are:
1. Simplify the expression by factoring or algebraic manipulation
2. Substitute the value of the limit into the simplified expression
3. If the limit is in indeterminate form, use algebraic manipulation to eliminate the indeterminacy
4. Simplify the expression further and evaluate the limit.

3. Can limits be calculated without using Cheating or L'Hopital's Rule for all types of functions?

Yes, limits can be calculated without using Cheating or L'Hopital's Rule for all types of functions. However, the approach and techniques used may vary depending on the complexity of the function.

4. How is calculating limits without using Cheating or L'Hopital's Rule related to the concept of continuity?

The ability to calculate limits without using Cheating or L'Hopital's Rule is closely related to the concept of continuity. A function is continuous at a point if the limit of the function at that point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point. By using the steps to calculate limits without using Cheating or L'Hopital's Rule, we can determine if a function is continuous at a given point.

5. Can I use any other methods to calculate limits without using Cheating or L'Hopital's Rule?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to calculate limits without using Cheating or L'Hopital's Rule, such as using trigonometric identities, substitution, and the squeeze theorem. However, these methods may not be applicable to all types of functions and may require more advanced knowledge of calculus.