1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about the search for normal subgroups- Conjugacy classes ?

1. Nov 26, 2009 #1
    A question about the search for normal subgroups- Conjugacy classes!!!?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Aut(Z*_24) has Conjugacy classes of order 1, 21, 24, 24, 42 and 56.
    Show that Aut(Z*_24) is simple.

Note: Aut(Z*_24) is sometimes written as U(Z_24)
    Thanks for any idea or answer...

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea! At first, why 24 is written 2 times?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2009 #2
    Re: A question about the search for normal subgroups- Conjugacy classes!!!?

It means that it has six conjugacy classes, two of which have the order 24. For starters, what's the definition of a simple group? And how do conjugacy classes relate to that definition?

4. Nov 26, 2009 #3

Simple group means, if it contains no non-trivial normal subgroups. so, for example, if a group has prime order, then it has no nontrivial normal subgroup.
    and conjugacy classes means for a and b in G, there exist an element g for which,
    g.a.g^(-1)=b
    that means g.a=g.b
    also i know that, Aut(Z*_24) has 168 elements and this is the total of this conjugacy classes. for next step, what should I do?
    Actually i want to know, how can I find conjugacy classes? how did they find this number of conjugacy classes?

5. Nov 26, 2009 #4

So is there perhaps a connection between the normal subgroups and conjugacy classes? In particular, what would it mean in terms of conjugacy classes, if you had a nontrivial normal subgroup?

6. Nov 28, 2009 #5

I don't understand what is conjugacy classes and how to compute them.. only i know its definiton.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook