A question on a notation used in hyperelastic literature

In summary, the tilde sign in the given equation represents a notation used in hyperelastic materials to denote the Green Lagrangian strain tensor. It is also used in the 2nd Piola-Kirchoff stress tensor and the strain energy in the material reference frame. This notation is not the same as the Voigt notation and is commonly seen in literature related to hyperelastic materials. To create inline equations, enclose them in ## delimiters (not $).
hoomanya
Could someone please tell me what the tilde sign stands for in this equation:$$w_{0}\left(e_{ij}\right)=\int s_{ij}d\tilde{e_{ij}}=\frac{1}{2}\,\underline{\underline{s}}:\underline{\underline{e}}$$

where and ##\underline{\underline{e}}## is the Green Lagrangian strain tensor and ##\underline{\underline{s}}## is the 2nd Piola-Kirchoff stress tensor, if I'm not mistaken ##w_{0}## is the strain energy in the material reference frame.

I have been trying to find out but no luck yet. I thought it was the Voigt notation but apparently it isn't. I have seen this notation in a lot of literature related to hyperelastic materials which I think uses the same symbol, for instance:

p.s. I am not sure how to create inline equations here. I would appreciate it if someone edited this or told me how.

[example_paper][1] [1]: http://www.mse.berkeley.edu/groups/morris/MSE205/Extras/Elastic.pdf

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hoomanya said:
I am not sure how to create inline equations here.

Enclose the equations in ## delimiters. (not $)

jtbell said:
Enclose the equations in ## delimiters. (not $)
thanks.

1. What is hyperelasticity?

Hyperelasticity is a material property that describes the ability of a material to deform and return to its original shape when subjected to stress. It is commonly used to model the behavior of rubber-like materials, such as polymers and biological tissues.

2. What is the notation used in hyperelastic literature?

The notation used in hyperelastic literature is typically based on strain energy density functions, which describe the relationship between stress and strain in a hyperelastic material. This notation includes variables such as strain, stress, and material constants, and is often represented using Greek symbols.

3. How is the strain energy density function used in hyperelasticity?

The strain energy density function is used to determine the stress and strain in a hyperelastic material. It is typically derived from experimental data and is used in mathematical models to predict the behavior of the material under different loading conditions. It is a key component in the study of hyperelasticity.

4. What are some common hyperelastic models used in literature?

Some common hyperelastic models used in literature include the Mooney-Rivlin model, Ogden model, and Neo-Hookean model. These models use different strain energy density functions to describe the behavior of hyperelastic materials and are often used in different applications depending on the material properties and loading conditions.

5. What are the limitations of hyperelasticity?

While hyperelasticity is a useful tool for modeling the behavior of rubber-like materials, it does have some limitations. These include the assumption that the material is homogeneous and isotropic, which may not always be the case in real-world applications. Additionally, hyperelastic models may not accurately predict the behavior of materials under extreme loading conditions or in the presence of defects or damage.