1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question on a notation used in hyperelastic literature

1. Oct 23, 2015 #1
    Could someone please tell me what the tilde sign stands for in this equation:

$$w_{0}\left(e_{ij}\right)=\int s_{ij}d\tilde{e_{ij}}=\frac{1}{2}\,\underline{\underline{s}}:\underline{\underline{e}}$$

where and ##\underline{\underline{e}}## is the Green Lagrangian strain tensor and ##\underline{\underline{s}}## is the 2nd Piola-Kirchoff stress tensor, if I'm not mistaken ##w_{0}## is the strain energy in the material reference frame.

I have been trying to find out but no luck yet. I thought it was the Voigt notation but apparently it isn't. I have seen this notation in a lot of literature related to hyperelastic materials which I think uses the same symbol, for instance:

p.s. I am not sure how to create inline equations here. I would appreciate it if someone edited this or told me how.

[example_paper][1]

[1]: http://www.mse.berkeley.edu/groups/morris/MSE205/Extras/Elastic.pdf

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2015 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Enclose the equations in ## delimiters. (not $)

4. Oct 23, 2015 #3
    thanks.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook